?? For Denon 3802 Owners Using 6.1/7.1

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AnthonyJS, Jan 12, 2003.

1. AnthonyJS

AnthonyJS Agent

I have a Denon AVR-3802 that I've had for a little over a year now and am in the process of installing rear center channel speakers. I know the unit doesn't decode "authorized" Dolby Digital Surround EX, but according to the Denon website, it does "Dolby Digital decoding, including Matrix 6.1 decoding". The manual under Dolby Digital 6.1 notes that the rear center channel is not available. Does this unit decode Dolby Digital 6.1 or not? Is the only way to do it through Denon's proprietary "Widescreen 7.1"? If so, how is the sound of the "Widescreen 7.1"? Thanks in advance!

2. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

3. DonT

DonT Stunt Coordinator

anthony, i have that unit...it decodes dolby digital ex just fine, only its called 6.1 surround. the reason you think it doesnt is because very few discs are available that will set off the rear channel flag because of dolby's problem with their crappy bitstream, forcing them to turn the flags off. rest assured that if the disc is in 6.1 ex (such as star wars AOTC) if you put it on 6.1 surround you WILL be getting the rear channel info out of the rear speakers. the 3803 calls it dolby digital ex, but it wont notice the rear channel flag, if its turned off in the stream, either.

4. AnthonyJS

AnthonyJS Agent

Thanks a lot guys! I'm really excited now! I think I orginally misread the table on Page 59. The info on pages 21-22 and 52-53 helped! And you're right about the flag, I had noticed that some discs that claim to be encoded in EX were not triggering the "Signal Detect" light on the front of the unit. Therefore I began to think the 3802 couldn't do it.
    Now that you've helped me here, any thoughts on my questions regarding one or two rear center speakers and optimum placement? Here's a link to that question Link to Other Question. I read on the Dolby site that they recommend 4' separation if using two rear center speakers. Thanks again!
    Tony

5. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit