For British members (or anyone else that knows): what happened to Sigue Sigue Sputnik

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MickeS, Nov 29, 2001.

1. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I've been listening to their "Flaunt it" album almost constantly for a couple of weeks now, what a great album! I remember hearing them first back in the late 80's the single "Love Missile F1-11", and then a friend of mine got the albu. I had it on tape, one of my most listened to tapes! I can't believe nobody else picked up the great idea of having commercials between songs. [​IMG]
    According to CDNow, they released a new album this year, called Piratespace.. and some other albums in the 80's but no song listings for them. Has anyone heard the Piratespace CD, or know anything else about what's going on with them?
    I'd also like to know what the band members have been up to between late 80's and now, if anyone knows. Have they been active in the British music industry?
    /Mike

2. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

Holy Macaroni! I had no idea someone else might actually listen to Sigue Sigue Sputnik. I got into them back in '89 I think. I heard their Love Missile F1-11 and just had to get the tape. Is that Billy Idol as the lead singer? I have one of their other CD's but it's a live CD and not nearly as good. Sound quality is lacking quite a bit. So I don't listen to it much. This band and a few others are what got me into music with a lot of synth in it.
    And now that you mention they have a new CD out I will have to find it. I don't know much about them other than the fact that I really like their music.
    [​IMG]

3. andrew markworthy

SSS didn't get off to a good start in the UK. If I remember correctly, they were deliberately over-hyped before they had released much (and became known as 'Sigue Sigue Hype Hype'), and the commercial nature of the enterprise was deliberately brought to the fore (hence the adverts between tracks). This alienated a lot of the music critics, and so the public tended to be put off them as well. This may be a faulty memory, but I think they were also fairly um, adult, in their imagery, so they lost out on the lucrative early teen market.

4. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Supporting Actor

Mikael Söderholm
    Be sure to check out Ultimate Band list, always a good place for info, links etc.
    I don't know much about SSS, unfortunately

5. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

I remember the guy behind them (whose name escapes me - Tony somebody?) joined Sisters Of Mercy for a while afterwards, if that helps.

6. Brian_Linnen

Brian_Linnen Stunt Coordinator

they actually did some sort of new stuff last year, or so i heard. allmusic says they released a few compilations in 99 and '00, but i swear i remember an interview with tony james talking about version 2.0 recording new music.