? for anyone who removed the glare screen on their Toshiba...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick G, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit

2. GaryP

GaryP Second Unit

Patrick,

While I chose to restack rather than remove the glare screen, I came across several threads discussing complete removal of the screen. While you could use weather stripping, a couple of guys that used this method reported an uneven "seal" where the screens rest against the bezel. The best solution to that problem was to use 1/16" strips of wood paneling instead of the stripping. This seemed to achieve much better results with a nice even "seal" around the entire bezel when buttoning the screen back up. And since you asked, my TV is a 50h81. Hope this helps.

Gary

3. GaryP

GaryP Second Unit

Patrick,
    That would be 1/16" thick. You didn't mention what TV you have so it's hard for me to say what width you'd need. Let's assume you have an h81 series, which is what I am familiar with. The rails that hold the screens in place will allow about 1/2" or a tad more in width. Anything much more than that would start to extend beyond what the bezel would hide. You'll be able to tell (measure) once you get the screen off.
    As far as materials go, I'm guessing you can pick up a sheet of something at Home Depot or the local hardware store. If you can't find strips in the size you want (which you probably wont), worst case scenario would be to have Home Depot cut them to size for you.
    Other than that you should be set.
    Two tips for you:
    1) Make sure your hands are nice and clean when handling the screens (which you want to keep to a minimum).
    2)Make sure you don't drop any beads of sweat from your forehead onto the screen stack while you're working over top of them [​IMG]. That happend to me while working on my first h81 and it actually left a little stain on the damn frensel.
    Gary