What's new

For anyone who has no form of cable (1 Viewer)

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
You can still have cable and watch old shows on their broadcast nights.;) I do this more than I used to. I will watch the local syndicated rerun line up of The Odd Couple, The Honeymooners, Star Trek and then Twilight Zone. I will sometimes watch a Trek on it's original broadcast anniversary night, like the series premiere.

I will pop in an old "off the TV" Green Hornet episode followed by a Time Tunnel.

If Falcon Crest were fully out on DVD, you'd have your CBS Fridays all set!

Or start with The Incredible Hulk to kick it back a few years.

lj01

Agent
Real Name
Lyle
I think there was a topic similar to this a few years ago and I wrote this same dialogue, so it may sound familiar, but I’ve been doing this sort of thing for about 11 years – part of my reason may be that I have a touch of hyperthymesia so dates and days of the week are important to me – and I like the structure as far as what I’m watching.

At one point (2008), I gave up on modern TV and it all kind of fell into place – basically my schedule runs with whatever was on exactly 33 years ago (minus one day to adjust for day of week). So, today, Friday, March 22, 2019, I would watch anything on the schedule from Friday, March 21, 1986 (which happens to be a Miami Vice rerun). I start in spring with mapping out the next season’s schedule (including reruns) and buy the DVDs and such to prepare.

It’s a little “out there” I know, but combines my love of calendars, nostalgia and classic TV.

When I started, though, it was 2008, and I started with 1975 shows. My family has participated – my daughter loved watching the “classics” from the 70s, Laverne & Shirley, Diff’rent Strokes, Muppet Show. Now she’s a teenager and mostly watches videos on youtube about makeup and stuff, but it was fun while it lasted.

Currently, I only watch four shows (from the 1985-86 season) – I think the highest number we watched in a given season was about 16 (both the 1979-80 and 1981-82 seasons) – that was kind of the apex and has dwindled to only four now (Murder She Wrote, Cosby Show, Magnum PI and Miami Vice). My plan is to go two more 80s seasons with the light schedule and then reverse back into the mid-to-late 60s (haven’t picked where to land in the time machine yet but somewhere between 1965-68) and do this all over again…I guess for as long as I can do it, I don’t ever see going back to regular TV.

I suppose if I was smart or terrifically funny, I should have been writing a blog the whole time or making youtube videos of myself talking through it, but I’m not sure anyone would really care to hear about it.

But since someone brought it up here…

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I never liked being chained to a TV schedule or channel, so I welcomed DVD with open arms. It never occurred to me to attempt to watch shows as per their original schedule, though that does seem like an interesting idea. That would remove the binging temptation and restore a bit of the original mystique of consuming a beloved show one bite-size morsel a week.

I “invented” (in my kid’s mind at least) “on-demand” back when Battlestar Galactica originally aired in 1978. It consisted of, “We’re going to grandma’s house Sunday night, and she better not change the channel to ice skating.” (She did once.) Her color TV with Cable were the big draw there. And we never missed an episode.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I never liked being chained to a TV schedule or channel, so I welcomed DVD with open arms. It never occurred to me to attempt to watch shows as per their original schedule, though that does seem like an interesting idea. That would remove the binging temptation and restore a bit of the original mystique of consuming a beloved show one bite-size morsel a week.

I “invented” (in my kid’s mind at least) “on-demand” back when Battlestar Galactica originally aired in 1978. It consisted of, “We’re going to grandma’s house Sunday night, and she better not change the channel to ice skating.” (She did once.) Her color TV with Cable were the big draw there. And we never missed an episode.

I grew up solidly in the VCR era. I was never chained to a schedule. Minus maybe The Simpsons on Sundays (or Thursdays), my biggest scheduling nostalgia is probably Nick At Nite's 1994-1995 lineup, Quantum Leap at Noon, or the final few seconds of Murder She Wrote before WWF Wrestling on Monday Nights on USA. So, like you, I embraced DVD with open arms and have nothing to recreate.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Even though I grew up in the era when you were locked into whatever schedule the networks chose to foist upon you I don't remember shows in a back-to-back type order. Unlike albums I've listened to dozens of times and can tell you if the gap between songs is different I couldn't tell you which TV program followed which, even for those series I rarely missed. There are a few that I know the night they aired, and fewer still the night and time. Even if I recreated a broadcast day's schedule it would have no nostalgia other then the shows themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks