For any fans of Chris Morris or Armando Iannucci...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Robertson, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

...enjoy their 9/11 satire published today in The Observer. Bound to be a fuss, but what genuine satire doesn't spark one these days?
    Chris Morris is, IMHO, one of the few real geniuses working today. Recently proclaimed as one of the top 20 most powerful people in television (the only artist - the rest are all studio heads), he is feared and adored in equal terms.
    For example, the last piece of work he did was a half-hour satire on paedophiles (soon to be released, it is rumoured, on R2 DVD) for Channel Four Television, which they were forced to apologise over (this was following a year of ridiculous witch-hunts and media-sparked hysteria over the subject).
    Do not click on this link if you are easily offended, but personally I found it very funny.
    A personal favourite:

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Ahhhh, good old Chris Morris. I miss his work over here.

3. Duncan_N

Duncan_N Stunt Coordinator

Chris Morris is comedy God.

My personal favourites,

November 21st: Success of 9/11 attacks giving al-Qaeda acute 'second album' difficulty. FBI sources say the poor quality of follow-up activities reveals al-Qaeda's dreadful fear that they will never top the impact of the 11 September atrocities. In a recent attack described as 'a shoddy and lame retread', one man attempted to crash 100,000 paper darts into Chicago's Sears Tower. He was arrested without a struggle after throwing just seven darts through the fire escape window of a nearby office block. Similar plots in Washington and Los Angeles were also foiled although a visiting Egyptian did successfully hurl a lobster at Jimmy Connors.

23rd: Western capitals are disrupted by a wave of hoaxers claiming to have sent anthrax through the post. The police report particular difficulties with people claiming to be hoaxers who turn out not to be hoaxers at all. Says an angry NYPD spokesman: 'False hoaxers are blocking the lines so the real hoaxers can't get through... How can we catch genuine hoaxers if false hoaxers prevent them from making their hoax in the first place?'

December 4th: Defence Department announces that a bearded US missile has been captured and imprisoned near the Afghan city of Mazar-e-Sharif. The missile, which disappeared last March, told CIA interrogators it wanted to 'blow up women and gays and kites'.

5th: Bin Laden seen 'dead on a dead horse on top of a dead hill that had been absolutely blown up with bombs', confirms Afghan villager pleased to see he has given the right answer.

Hilarious! Can we have Brass Eye on DVD please?!!

4. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Seems six months too late, but funny still.
    (By the way, who the hell is this Chris Morris? Is he well known in England?)

5. Duncan_N

Indeed, The Onion is also inspired satire.

I read that page you posted, Ike, when it was first up and I can't remember laughing so hard about anything.

Hijackers Surprised To Find Selves In Hell

'We Expected Eternal Paradise For This,' Say Suicide Bombers

and the whole

'A Shattered Nation Longs To Care About Stupid Bullshit Again' story is genius.

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

7. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Ahh, I think I remember hearing something about that. What did it contain that they wanted to ban (Or was it just generally a discomfort discussing pedophillia?)

8. Duncan_N

The genius of the Peodophilia programme wasn't the peodophilia aspect (who would ever consider that a subject for fun and comedy?) but the satirising of knee jerk vigilantisms and irrational hysteria to such subjects in the news. Tabloid mentalities if you will.
    The results of the programme? - knee jerk reactions and irrational hysteria - the best of which was from MP's and others who would admit on record that they never even saw the programme!! [​IMG]
    Morris disappeared from public view and gave no interviews afterwards - just laughed himself all the way to the bank.

9. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Ahh...I see. Sounds like my kind of show.

(On a side note, pedophilla has been turned into comedy before, most well known in Happiness, which if you are sick enough, is funny)

10. BrianB

BrianB Producer

11. Jon Robertson

Two absolute classics from that column:

12. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

13. Jon Robertson

This may be nonsense, but the bloke who posted it over at Cookdandbombd.co.uk forums swore his friend at TalkBack/Channel Four said that Brass Eye DVDs were on the way this year, and these were filmed at the Strongroom Studios in London as extras for the disc.
    Apparently last Monday members of the public were brought along to form a focus group. They were shown the Brass Eye paedophile special and asked to comment on it. Cue expected 'disgusting', etc, and some even stormed out. Turns out it was all run by Chris Morris pretending to be Nicky Campbell.
    Later on a genuine group of homeless people, including alcoholics and drug addicts, were rounded up, fed lots of Special Brew and commented on the drugs episode. They were asked also to pretend to be the Brass Eye production crew who were now homeless.
    If this ever comes true, I will die a VERY happy man. [​IMG]
    As for Morris's infamous appearance on The Time The Place, it is assumed he was trying to gather material for the Sex Crisis episode of Brass Eye - he pretended to be Thurston Lowe, a sexologist.

14. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

More "outrage" as Brass Eye wins itself a BAFTA nomination (two in fact). [​IMG]
    Dan

15. Alister Willis

Alister Willis Auditioning

Hi all,
    Count me in as another fan of Chris Morris, Brass Eye and The Day Today.
    I'd love to see any of the above on DVD.
    Glad to hear Brass Eye has got a couple of nominations, it's one of the cleverest shows of recent years IMHO.
    What categories has it been nominated in Dan?