What's new

For all you Blondie fans... :-) (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hey! Whaddaya know? I needed to go drop off my extended warranty card for my Nikon 18-70DX lens and decided to take a short break from work for some photo opps on this fine late afternoon (a rare one so far this spring in NYC), and look what I found nearby at the City Hall Park. :) A nice treat for all the Blondie fans, no? ;-)

Here's a sample shot to start you off:

Too bad I didn't get there soon enough for a better spot to shoot w/ my meager 85mm f/1.8. Took me a while to even find an ok spot way off to the side for these shots. You can find more here:

http://www.pbase.com/mandnwong/blondie_at_jr_2004

BTW, she looks pretty great given her age, no? And there's still something about her that's very striking even though I'm not a real fan or anything like that.

And oh yes, be sure that I also got a few decent non-Blondie candids also (as I usually do). ;-)

Let me know what you think. :)

Kind regards,

_Man_

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
Some good looking photos.

I think she looks her age. Ever since I saw her in Heavy, I've thought she's touted that "rode-hard-and-put-away-wet" look.

Back in the day, she was teh hawt!

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Gotta love a place where you go on a walk and wind up catching Blondie live. sheesh ! me jealous.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Thanks for the appreciation, guys.

Colin,

Forget that old film SLR. Get a new DSLR instead. :D The D70 handles like a dream although it's certainly not a pro-level SLR. And it costs less than my bottom-end Panny HD RPTV. :wink:

Scott,

Since I was never a real Blondie fan (just enjoy the music on occasion), I didn't realize how old Debbie Harry is now -- almost 60(!) -- so I guess that's the main reason for my thoughts about her looks. I'm not sure, but most 60-year-old caucasian women I come across tend to look a bit more aged than Debbie Harry right now. Are you sure you're not just comparing her looks now w/ her prime back in the 70's?

Alex,

Don't be jealous. Just switch coasts and move over here to NYC or move south to LA area. :D

_Man_

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
Wow, those shots look amazing- well done!

I would love to get a better camera too, but I really can't justify blowing 1k+ for what I would use it for.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Thanks, Chazz and Posten.

Chazz,

Yeah, I wouldn't have gotten it if I didn't have so many good excus... I mean reasons :D for doing so. $1K is just for the body itself. When you get a DSLR and actually use it much for a variety of subject matter and such, you will almost certainly spend more on the glass afterward. I'm trying to be budget conscious about my glass purchases while going for good performance and value, but I already know that I will be spending more on glass than the D70 body -- hopefully, not too much more.

One really has to look at photography as a serious hobby much like HT in order to justify the investment. Well, that and the usual real practical purposes like shooting your kids in action, at recitals, for those perfect moments and such things. Many serious amateurs do make a little $$$ on the side to help finance the costs, but it's generally not enough make a serious difference if you ask me. Well, maybe I can sell a few prints to other parents while I'm shooting my own kids in whatever organized extracurricular activities, but that's probably the extent of it for the forseeable future.

BTW, for more casual uses, some of the recently replaced 4-5MP prosumer compact digicams are quite good. I still have my 4MP Canon G3 and think it's a great value, especially if you can get it on clearance for

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks