What's new

For All Mankind (2019) - Season 1 (1 Viewer)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

What if the space race had never ended? Watch an official first look at For All Mankind, an Apple Original drama series coming this Fall to Apple TV+.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Aw crap. A possibly very good show that I'll have to shell out for another subscription. Jeez, how many streaming services are there going to be?

Ok, back to our regular programming. I did like the trailer except for the guy who's doing "Cronkite"? Not often a trailer has a twist.

What's the audience for this? Most streamers are far younger than I. Will they care about history?

I'd like to see this, damn it!

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
For an interesting idea,

I do I have a question -- who is the actress who plays one of the Astronauts 1:47 -- 2nd from left
I think I figured out the other 4, but I can't place #2. It's driving me crazy not to recall her name

Jodi Balfour, ??, Sarah Jones, Krys Marshall, Cass Bugge

EDIT:
Appears as expected to be the most famous of the actresses -- Sonya Walger (or a really good lookalike)
I don't understand why she isn't credited anywhere for being in the show. Is she just in the trailers or some
sort of publicity stunt or is this really her only scene?

Last edited:

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
So the first three episodes of For All Mankind have been released (the first two are free without having to have a subscription or even the free trial).

So far the show is an extremely slow burn, but I haven't found it to be dull at any point. The special effects are surprisingly weak--especially the simple green screening on the gantry scenes. There are a few classic BSG-esque Ron Moore style camera zooms to spacecraft that are fun to see.

I'll definitely be watching the entire season (and it seems the show has been picked up for a second season already). There are so many places Moore can take the show that I really want to see where it goes.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm interested in this, but not enough to subscribe to yet another streaming service. The only two shows that Apple TV has so far that I'm interested in are this and "Dickinson". I might catch up down the road once I cancel HBO again.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’ll check this out because of the free year of the service my iPad came with, but otherwise I wouldn’t go out of the way for it. Even with rotating subscriptions, there are too many services each with too few unique offerings to make it worth the hassle. Yes, I’m sure some of these things will turn out to be genuinely great, but I’m content with letting the dust settle without me getting too involved. And I’ve still got a cable bill to manage.

Star Trek is worth seeking out for me. Disney+ with its combo of new Star Wars shows and continuation of Marvel movie storylines I’m already invested in are worth the effort. I watch enough things on HBO semi-regularly already to try a new show when they have one on offer. But there’s only so much money in the budget and time in the day and I’m okay with the idea that it’s not even worth trying to keep up with it all.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Uh, I think you're going to need to do a little more than that (I have no idea what you are trying to convey)...

Ronald D Moore has been the lead writer on some of the best Sci Fi television. Period.

33 May be the best episode of sci fi television ever written. Definitely the most intense.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Ronald D Moore has been the lead writer on some of the best Sci Fi television. Period.

33 May be the best episode of sci fi television ever written. Definitely the most intense.

Just looking at the members posting in this thread--Adam, two of the Joshes--you may be preaching to the choir. Ron Moore knows how to write compelling sci-fi that blends aspects of politics and history. "33" is definitely up there in the rarefied air of top sci-fi episodes. His episode of Electric Dreams ("Real Life") is one of my favourites from that series. His TNG episodes are some of my favourites, too.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, glad I found a thread on this new show. When I heard about it during the Apple Keynote, I thought it could be great with Ron Moore running the show. As a Star Trek fan I liked his work and I enjoyed his reimagined Galactica.

Then I learned the premise of the show and now I’m not sure I want to see it. I grew up on the Space program. I loved all aspects of it. I’m not sure I’m interested in seeing it from a different timeline. And I really loved the movies like The Right Stuff and the HBO series From The Earth to the Moon. And we just got past the 50th Anniversary of the moon landing.

I’ve tried not to see any comments above to avoid spoilers. I’m not outright saying I won’t see it. But I might. As Josh has said, I have a free year as well to sample the service. And as an Apple fan, I’d like to see Apple succeed. So I find myself torn.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Episode five was great. The big reveal in the final few seconds moved the shower closer to where I always thought it was heading.

I liked the Admiral Adama quote callback.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
FWIW, I'm really enjoying this. I too am/was a space geek, to the extent on my recent 50th my friends got me a Lego set of the LEM, a Revell kit of the CSM, and a copy of the Apollo 11 flight plan...

Alternate history has also always interested me (cf Turtledove), so this "what if" is quite interesting to me too.

One 'side-effect' of Sonya Walger not being named as a recurring star conversely meant a real sense of jeopardy to me when Cobb went down into the crater -- a trope of all/most TV series is that named recurring stars can't/won't be killed off, but since she's named as a guest, it was always possible that during the haul back up, with the shot to her cable rubbing against sharp rock, that she might get killed. Whereas we'd "know" Baldwin would always make it back safely, Kinnaman being the first-named star of the show.

Must shamefully admit I didn't catch the Adama quote...

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
This was a great season of TV. Classic Ron Moore, really. If you like "hard" sci-fi and alternative history mixed with a bit of human drama (and a tad bit of melodrama), then you will enjoy this show. There are a few moments of tension that rival the best scenes from Gravity and Interstellar.

Like the reveal in episode five, the reveal in the final episode again moved the show ever closer to what I assume is Ron Moore's goal with this series.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
1x04 Prime Crew

Finished episode 4 and I'm enjoying this immensely. And surprisingly it's getting funnier.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Just finished the first season while Apple is making it available for free. It was excellent. They will definitely get my money when the second season rolls around.

The little glimpses of the alternate history outside of the space program are particularly interesting, especially because none of the real life people outside of NASA have been recast; instead, they manipulate footage of the real people and use uncanny voice impersonators with the idea that since Nixon was a one-termer in this timeline, the recording system in the oval office was never disassembled.

It does seem strange that we followed the daughter of the illegal immigrant the entire season only for her to follow her father back to Mexico. It seemed like that storyline was going somewhere.

When you figure that three of the leads aren't even Americans, the period accents are pretty spot on.

The jump ahead to 1983 after the credits of the finale was very intruiging, especially since it was looking increasingly likely that there would be a very different Reagan adminstration, moved up by four years from our timeline.

Apparently the second season started shooting back in October; hopefully they got it in the can before everything shutdown due to the pandemic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks