For All Mankind

Discussion in 'DVD' started by KyleC, Feb 4, 2004.

1. KyleC

KyleC Supporting Actor

It's a documentary about the Apollo program. It's supposed to be fantastic. I already own "From the Earth to the Moon" but that's hollywood. I was wondering if anyone had seen this?

BTW if you're interested in this subject as I am check this clip with an intro from James Cameron (watch the 1MB stream amazing quality)

http://www.breakpointmedia.com./

2. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

3. ScottFH

ScottFH Stunt Coordinator

Highly recommended - esp. if, like me, you love watching the real thing!!!

Bought it when it first came out...

Basically, uses footage from all the Apollo flights to "simulate" a trip to the moon & back.

Plenty of nice extras too!

4. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

Very good film. It is important to note that it is not a true documentary, as it doesn't document a single mission. Instead, as ScottFH points out, footage from the entire Apollo program is used to represent a single mission.

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

This is an awesome item. I've not only had the DVD version since it first came out, but prior to that I had a CD-ROM edition of it for PC's. [​IMG]

As someone already said, highly recommended.

Picture on the left is the old CD-ROM, the one on the right is the current DVD (click on that one to see details).

[c][​IMG] [​IMG][/c]

6. KyleC

KyleC Supporting Actor

yes if you watch the link I posted it's the same way. I got the feeling it was a mixture of all missions. It does sound interesting I'll have to pick it up.

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Calling Jack Briggs.

I really think that this is a must for those who are interested in the space program.

It also has a very good commentary by the producer and by Gene Cernan. One of the extras are some paintings done by Alan Bean and he as provided a commentary as well.

This was one of the first DVDs I purchased after buying my first DVD player.

8. Douglas Bailey

Douglas Bailey Second Unit

Douglas Bailey
    It's also, incidentally, got a beautiful soundtrack: music by Brian Eno, Daniel Lanois and Roger Eno. (The soundtrack — which came out many, many years before the film was completed — is available on CD as Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks.)

9. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    I have this LD. I haven't watched it in years. Looks like it is long overdue.

10. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

A terrifc film. Tom Hanks was a big fan and much of the special effex in his tv series (as well as Apollo 13) were based on images seen during the movie. I saw a special showing at the Cinerama Dome the year it was put on the movie festival circuit. It was nominated for an Academy Award, but did not win.

11. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Highly recommended.

12. KyleC

KyleC Supporting Actor

Speaking of Apollo 13 and I know this is OT but why is it so hard to find the DTS version? I know amazon has it but most other stores have the regular version.

13. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Great film, but the Breakpoint version is cropped from the original theatrical aspect ratio of 4x3 to 16x9.

It's an even better movie when you don't lose 20 percent of the picture. And it's amazing on a big movie theater screen.

- Steve

14. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

I recently purchased this. Very good film, but I'm not sure the extras justify a full-price Criterion buy compared to others I've seen.

15. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    I bought this blind, and have never regretted it. Absolute must-have for any "space" fan (for want of a better term).

Every single piece of footage used was shot by the Apollo astronauts, giving it a documentary feel rather than a "movie" feel, "but" IIRC there is one (just one) effects shot, where they improved or fixed something; right now I can't remember, which means I need to find time to watch this again soon.

16. Lew Crippen

To quibble a bit Scott, I don’t believe that a film needs to record a single event to be a documentary. Many, if not most, documentaries beginning with Nanook of the North contain footage taken on different occasions, but that are edited together so that the final film is (hopefully) of more interest than just showing what happened during a single point in time, episode, incident or mission.

17. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

I don't disagree, but this film takes footage from multiple missions and presents it as one single mission. The major catastrophe that was Apollo 13 comes off as a minor inconvenience in the film. It is definitely an important distinction to make.

If one wants to experience an amalgamation of the Apollo program, this is an absolutely fantastic choice.

There are other, more comprehensive documentaries on the Apollo program... and there are documentaries on some individual missions (Apollo 13: To the Edge and Back is an outstanding documentary).

I'm not knocking For All Mankind. While the film fits generally in the documentary category, I hate to see the term documentary used loosely. That leads to films that pass themselves off as truth, but basically aren't.

-Scott

18. Lew Crippen

Probably all definitional Scott: I don’t think that a documentary is required to ever show the whole truth—indeed who can know the whole truth. Your example of Apollo 13 is well chosen—it comes down to what the documentarian intends. What will be the focus of the film? Will it be one that stresses the success and achievements of the space program (in this case), or will it be one that focuses on the difficulties and hazards. Or can one do both, but lose some emphasis and detail in the broadening of scope?

The filmmaker makes his choice—but no matter the choice he makes (or if we agree with that choice) it makes it no less a documentary.

Salesman, generally considered one of the finest documentaries ever made, tells the story of four door-to-door salesman, especially of one of them, who was the least successful. Now the Maysles could have told almost any story given that they shot over 90 hours of film that was reduced to a 90-minute movie. They could have chosen to show one of the more (or the most) successful salesmen. They could have shown more or fewer successful sales. They could have chosen more customers who were more or less pathetic, which would have changed the film and how we felt about each salesman.

Regardless of which story was told, or the emphasis put on that story, it would still be true. But there is no way to tell the whole truth.

I’d also reference the first (as far as I know) documentary, Nanook of the North that creates a single family unit and experience from various unrelated Inuits who recreated much of their lives for the filmmaker. I would suggest that the recreation of the seal hunt, for example, does not make it less true, or at least less true in our understanding of the struggle the Nanook and his family must endure in order to survive.

In short, I don’t think that it is possible to be complete and still be interesting. We can agree or disagree with the approach, but disagreement does not necessarily invalidate the perspective presented, or make it less of a documentary.