What's new

For Adam West Batman show to come out?? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
What would it take for the Adam West Batman series to come out on DVD?

An uber lawyer who could get to the truth of the matter on who owns the rights to what? And under what percentage?

Same uber-lawyer who can figure out the various lawsuits (the producers daughter filed one--about residulas that weren't paid) and solve everything.

Who can discern whether it's DC Comics, Warner Brothers, or 20th Century Fox who owns the rights to Adam West's cowl?

Oh. . Where. . Oh Where is such an attorney who can solve just a gordian knot? Who can bring justice to the fans who clamor about this miscarriage of video want? Oh where is such a barrister who can look for the fans best interest and not to the money grubbing corporate money changers?

Anybody else want to comment? Cry?

Because really--that's what I would love to get next. The Adam West Batman! Really! He's the real darknight detective. Or as he said in the Simpsons--Pure West

James Smith

Real Name
Ryan
James, I agree with what you said there. This whole situation with Batman on DVD has become utterly ridiculous and seriously needs to be resolved now. The people at 20th Century Fox know and I mean KNOW that this show would make them a ton of money in DVD sales. In the trial, legal battle or whatever, I think that as you said, a lawyer should be able to figure out who owns what and how the profits of the DVD sales should be split. Such as a piece of the profits going to Warner Bros., a piece going to DC Comics, and a piece going to 20th Century Fox. I also think that the guys at TVShowsOnDVD should get involved with this legal mess, and other ones as well. Isn't the point of that website to see our favorite shows come to DVD? :l

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
at least now you can watch Batman on American Life every Friday night - along with Green Hornet.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
According to Joel Eisner, who wrote The Official Batman Batbook (new edition is just coming out now), the DVDs of the show won't be out until the lawsuit between William Dozier's daughter and Fox is resolved. The suit is said to involve licensing and distribution of the TV episodes.

Eisner posted the message at The 1966 Batman Message Board: The 1966 Batman Message Board - REVISED BATBOOK NOW ON SALE!

There is also an "ultimate edition" of the 1966 movie coming this year.

Real Name
Ryan

Since that's the case, why can't the people at Fox get off their high horse and fork over the money that Debra Dozier is demanding? It's not brain surgery, yeesh.:rolleyes:What also baffles me is that since the lawsuit involves distribution of the episodes, then how come the show has appeared on networks like Fox and TV Land?

jacktripper1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacob
James I only have three things to say.
1. I want it as much as you do
2. It's called Batman 1966
3. You seem very strange with all those Oh where. Everytime I read one I thought of oh Where oh where as my little dog gone, oh where, etc.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David

I doubt they'll pay money to anyone. Fox owned WKRP and wouldn't "fork over" music licensing costs for the WKRP set, so they just released it without it.

I don't see them springing for the Batman costs when they wouldn't pick up similar fees for other shows.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

This isn't a case of paying money in advance to the daughter. This is a case that Fox didn't give her a cut of the syndication fees - that she is contractually owed. There's being cheap and then there's being weaseled.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member

That was the hoped for effect-- . .I was trying to be funny. . Sometimes it just doesn't work.

James

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

I read it like one of the voice overs ending one episode of Batman and building suspense to tune in to the next one... I thought it was cleverly done James!

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I hope this show gets released someday soon. Now that I'm older, I'm beginning to appreciate it for what it is :) I laughed more at the movie the last time I watched it, than I ever did as a kid.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
I also don't think this has anything to do with a recent lawsuit because it has been going on for over 20 years. Fox Video could have made a fortune if they had released the TV show on home video in the late 80's at the peak of Batmania when the first Tim Burton movie came out, but they couldn't because of an old legal dispute.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

All caps and super huge "ZOMG!!!!!11!1" messages made my brain hurt when I clicked that link. Anyone have a summary in intelligent-speak?

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Just a note: Since Suzanne Pleshette passed away over the weekend, I remember reading that she was once considered to be Catwoman. Sometimes I wonder how she would have been as the Princess of Plunder; it would have probably been quite a bit different from Julie Newmar's portryal

James

Just a thought in passing

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
A few years back a Fox Executive personally told me that
we will never see this show released to DVD.

The explanation I was given was that there were legal problems
that involved Fox and DC Comics. I believe Fox owns the show but
DC COMICS holds the licensing.

This Dozier lawsuit is news to me, but makes perfect sense.

As I said, Fox was pretty definitive in saying it will never happen.
However, personally I don't believe that opportunities won't open
up at some point. Fox is certainly aware this is one of the most
demanded titles in their TV library.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I'm seriously considering this show once it comes to DVD. I did love it as a kid, but I haven't seen a single episode of it in over twenty years.

TimT

Agent
I too clicked on the link to the Batman message boards and was excited to hear that the Greenway/Fox suit was settled in November of 2007. However, I emailed TVShowsonDVD and got a reply from both Dave and Gord. They are as follows:

From Gord Lacey: Hey Tim, that lawsuit may be settled, but the Fox/DC Comics issue still exists. It's not a lawsuit, from my understanding, but a
licensing issue. DC Comics doesn't want to grant Fox a license to use
the character again because they feel the old show takes away from
the current image of the character. Basically they don't want the
cheesy show to turn people off of the serious movies

From Dave Lambert:
Sorry, but it really means absolutely nothing that Dozier-Potter
settled things. Fox and Warner's issues - which are not lawsuit-based, but
rather a set of negotiations which probably make the stuff beteween the
WGA and the AMPTP look "friendly" - have not changed.

Someone wrote us recently and said that they saw where Adam West
supposedly posted info on a board somewhere that he was recording commentary tracks for a DVD. No way to tell if its the real Adam West, of course, so we checked with Fox. They said, "I wish it were true, but it's
not, at all." That was less than 2 weeks ago.

Oh well, one issue down... only a few million more to go!!!

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff

Perhaps, if it was the real Adam West, he was referring to the 1966 theatrical movie, which is being re-issued on DVD this year with all-new extras if I recall correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks