For about $500 per speaker

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geno, Nov 9, 2001.

1. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

I am building HT speakers for a friend and he has a high budget. What are the best choices of components for medium cabs. Biggest speaker, 8". mostlikely, 4-way speakers. Ill need 6 sets and a sub choice.
    please advise. he has powered computer speakers now, and I hate watching movies over there.

2. Ryan Hawke

Ryan Hawke Agent

I would most likely stay away from the 4-way idea!! You're going to spend a LOT more on drivers (if you want good quality) and unless they were designed by someone who really knows what they were doing, they will not sound nearly as good as a good 2-way. Its a common misconception that the more drivers in a speaker cabinet the better it will sound. Multiway speakers are VERY hard to design and are also VERY costly. Think of it like this: for a 2 way with 2nd order electrical crossover you will need 2 speakers (woof and tweet), 2 caps, and 2 coils (if the crossover is very basic). For a 4 way with 2nd order electrical all around crossover, you will need 4 speakers, 6 caps, and 6 coils! I would probably do 2-ways all around. What size do these speakers have to be? Does he want floorstanders? Bookshelf? I would DEFINITELY go the kit route because you probably want to get the most for your money. There are some excellent kits out there for any budget and with a little more info on size constraints we can narrow it down a little. Good luck!
    --Ryan

3. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Ryan is right on. Crossover points are a weakness of any speaker, and a 4 way has 3 of them. What do you gain having 4 way ? It is easy to get a ruler flat response from 50 to 20,000 Hz with a 2 way design and quality drivers, and they will play loud enough till most amps clip (in other words, the electronics crap out before the speaker). Less is better !.