For a wonderfully surreal time... (Holy Grail SE)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WoodyH, Oct 24, 2001.

1. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator

...pop in the Holy Grail SE, set the audio track to French (or maybe just mute it if you actually speak French), and turn on the 'subtitles for people who hate the film.' [​IMG]
    I watched about half an hour of the movie like this last night, and kept bouncing between laughing and just staring at the screen in bewildered amazement. I wasn't sure what people meant when they mentioned that the 'subtitles for people who hate the film' were made up of text from Shakespeare's 'Henry IV, Part II' - I thought they'd just run the text of the play underneath the Holy Grail. However, they've actually grabbed lines from Henry IV that are as close as they can be to the actual wording and intent of the lines in the Holy Grail that they're replacing, and the end effect is truly, wonderfully bizarre. Some scenes don't quite work, but in others, the correlation between what's happening onscreen and what the subtitles are saying is freakishly accurrate.
    I think this subtitle track may be one of my favorite features on the disc - probably not the one I'll visit most often, but in terms of the sheer twisted humor of the idea (and the work it must have taken to assemble the track), I think it's absolutely amazing.
    ------------------
    Woody Hanscom
    My site: DJ'ing info, blog, and more...

2. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

These are exactly the kinds of things that remind me why I enjoy Monty Python's movies and skits so much! Delightfully witty, in a humorously nonsensical manner...
    ------------------
    Scott

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I haven't picked it up yet (it's on my Christmas list), but looking at the package, I almost fell over laughing from the special features list. There was too much funny stuff to list it all, but one of my personal favorites was "a glorious extra 24 seconds".
    Columbia did one of the most impressive catalog dumps I have seen in a while this week with Holy Grail, Funny Girl, On the Waterfront, and From Here to Eternity. Even if you don't want Final Fantasy, Columbia seems determined to get you into a video store this week.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA

4. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I thought the "MPatHG in Lego" extra was hilarious...
    ------------------
    My top ten movies that need to be on dvd:
    1. Akira Kurosawa's Dreams 2. Freaks 3. Men With Guns 4. The Ninth Configuration 5. The Reflecting Skin 6. Santa Sangre 7. Treasure of the Sierra Madre 8. Voyager 9. White Heat 10. Wings of Desire

5. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

Yep, those alternate subtitles are undervalued in previous reviews. They are scene and dialogue specific and actually quite amusing. Watch that "Bring out your dead" scene: You'd almost think that Shakespeare wrote the subs for this movie. [​IMG]

6. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator