1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

For a friend: Would a 10/100 ethernet card hold down download speeds to 100K?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Arthur S, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

My friend just got Verizon 768K DSL service at home. He has only been able to get 100K download speed. Someone sugggested to him that he get a 10/100/1000 ethernet card.

My guess is that his 10/100 ethernet card is not holding him to 100K.

He thinks that the 100 in 10/100 means 100K. If I am not mistaken, the 100 actually stands for 100M.

Thanks

2. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

The 10/100 stands for 10/100 megabits per second. It does not sound like the Ethernet card is holding him down.

I think even the fastest Verizon home service (FIOS) would not tax a decent 10/100 card.

By the way, 768 kilobits per second = just under 100 kilobytes per second. Is it possible that he has been measuring download speed in kilobytes/second?

3. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Supporting Actor

1st question...how is he measuring his download speed?

10/100/1000 are all Megabits per second so even a 10Mbps only card still leaves him with plenty of headroom. A different card isn't going to do anything. The fastest connection he could possibly get connected to any kind of cable or DSL line would be 10Mbps.

One thing to remember is that residential service speed isn't guaranteed. But if his speed really is that far removed from what he's paying for then there is something else wrong, but is isn't the card.

4. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

Verizon FIOS will go up to 30 Mbps (or 15 Mbps for people who can't grow a spare arm and leg each month [​IMG]).

5. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    right, it wouldn't at all. the capability of any 10/100 card should be able to handle any consumer level broadband available in the US now.

your friend should go here and test the connection. assuming the existing card is working properly, upgrading to a 10/100/1000 card will accomplish nothing.

CJ

6. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

true, the 10/100/1000 is lan side speeds not wan side only thing to do is get an actual netcard. make sure he has his settings cottect for the card in windows as well.

7. RomanSohor

RomanSohor Second Unit

the sites he is downloading off of may not be able to send it to him faster than 100k... I very rearely download faster than 100k from most of the sites I hit, either on DSL at my parents, Cable at home, or th e T3 at work. (Though the 100+ speeds are much more likely on the T3)

8. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

From testing my ADSL connection, I'm getting 1,244 kilobits per second download/318 kilobits per second upload speeds. That's still nowhere near the limit for even a 10Base-T Ethernet adapter. [​IMG]

9. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
  10. Scott L

Scott L Producer

True but he was talking cable & DSL. FIOS a different transfer method, and even then it will take a while before we see actual 30mbs transfer speeds.

11. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

No, unless it's defective.

12. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

As has been stated in this thread, that DSL account is specified in kiloBITS, not kiloBYTES or megaBITS as opposed to megaBYTES.

One byte consists of eight bits, meaning you can divide the amount in kilobits by eight or so to find how fast the transfers will be in kilobytes.

768 kilobits / 8 = 96 kilobytes per second.

There is nothing wrong with his connection, he is getting its rated maximum speed out of it. If he wants more speed, he needs to upgrade to a faster DSL variant.

13. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Supporting Actor

There is a little confusion here between kbps and KBps...lower case "kb" being kilobits and upper case "KB" being KiloBytes. This is my work connection's speed as it's displayed using the test from DSLReports.

2005-10-12 10:27:22 EST: 563 / 923
    Your download speed : 577018 bps, or 563 kbps.
    A 70.4 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 945850 bps, or 923 kbps.
    Again...we don't know what Arthur's friend is using as his test.