For a 17'x10' Room - What Size RPTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Glenn, Feb 19, 2002.

1. David Glenn

David Glenn Second Unit

I'm currently looking to purchase either the Sony KP-57HW40 or the Toshiba 57H81.

On my "L" shaped sectional couch, the seating area is 7' to 12' away with the sweet spot being 12' away.

Am I better off with the 50 inchers (Sony KP-51HW40 or the Toshiba 50H81)?

Thanks in advance for your response.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

My standard advice is to get the biggest display that you can afford and that will fit in the space. For comparison's sake, I sit about 8' away from a 65" 16:9 display.

One caveat is that the larger the display (and the closer you sit), the more you'll notice defects and flaws in the picture. So proper adjustment of your set with a calibration disc like Video Essentials or AVIA becomes a must. And if you're willing to go the extra mile for a professional calibration, you won't be sorry.

M.

3. Scott Page

Scott Page Stunt Coordinator

I second Michael's advice. I'm about 10 feet away from a 65". IMHO 8-12 range is perfect for a 65". If you are one of those people that prefers the back of the theater, then maybe a 55 would work for you. I prefer the middle area and the 8-10' distance is approximately equal to the middle section of my local multiplex.

Why are you not considering Mitsubushi TV's by the way? They are the most tweakable on the planet. Most TV for the money IMHO.

4. David Glenn

David Glenn Second Unit

Thanks for the responses.

As for the Mits, i'm looking for something that does not require much tweaking out of the box. I've heard the Sonys are pretty much good to go. I'm just looking to lower the contrast and other basic tweaks using my Sound & Vision tuneup dvd to calibrate but I'm not looking to do any detailed calibration or drop $400 on a professional calibration right away.