What's new

For $300, Energy Take 5 or better? (1 Viewer)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
$300 is my proposed budget since I'm a poor college student. The center chan on my kenwood htb-503 seems to have lost its magnetic shielding somehow and causes my screen to turn green after a while. I figured I'd just get a new spkr system since the htb's simply suck, except for the sub which I plan on keeping.
I've heard great reviews about the Take 5 and you can find it for $300 now. Maybe I should even hold out for the 5.2 which is $379. Is there anything better for the money?
Thanks.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
If you can score a used system you can do better, but not much. Keep your eyes open for paradigm and definitive technology on ebay, but I still doubt you will find anything at that price. You are talking about 5 speakers right? The Take 5's are a safe bet for good quality sound from small speaks.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, I've been looking into getting just a 3pc speaker set to save money. I can get a pair of Axiom M2's and a VP50 center for $315 not including s/h.
www.axiomaudio.com

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't eCost have the JBL NSP1 package for like $250? Those are some kick ass speakers as a buddy of mine has them.

Len Cheong

Second Unit
I personally had both the Take 5.2s and the JBL N series in my home and compared the 2. The 5.2 had the 8 sub paired with it and the JBL with the old d110. Both were great but I went with the JBLs because of the following - better midrange and price. The Take 5.2s with the sub cost $575 and the JBL system cost $460. I may return the JBL sub since it's garnered very bad reliability reviews. The JBL system also seemed more "neutral" to my ears. This is with movies. However, listening to music, the Take 5.2s seem to sound better. I was not buying for music, though. Hope this helps.

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
For $300 be careful. I have not heard the take5 setup, nor any other HTIB setups. I assume they sound about like what I expect. That being said, weigh your options carefully.
For $300 you can get a good set of bookshelf speakers from many of the major quality companies. Aegis, B&W, Paradigm and a whole host of others. This gets you to a quality 2 channel setup. Later on get the matching center and sometime on down the road pick up another pair of speakers like you have for your surrounds. You could also buy some towers with matching drivers and put your bookshelf speakers in the back if you wanted larger mains. This would give you a 100% matched setup.
Good luck,
Jon

Geordy

Stunt Coordinator
the energy take 5's are great speakers. you really don't have to be careful so long as they are new. If you can get them for $300, i would say that they are as good or better than any system $200-300 more.
great reviews for this product are not hard to find; do a google search if you don't believe me.
i would just get the es-8 sub if you go with the take 5's...it is inexpensive and certainly better than whatever your HTiB has.
geordy
------------------

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
The Take 5's are excellent speakers for the price point. Sure, you can spend a whole lot more and get better, but for the money, you just can't beat them. I still have my Take 5's and love them!
I am assuming that the $300 doesn't include a subwoofer. That is a necessity with the Take 5's, so check into that.
------------------
Randy Tennison
Kansas City, MO
Home theater photos located at
http://home.kc.rr.com/thetennisons/

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
For that price I would not hesitate to get them. BTW I have the encores.
------------------
Don't make me angry. You won't like me when I'm angry.
hulk.jpg
3EMS Hometheater

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks