For $1714.35 shipped is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jason_M, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Jason_M

Jason_M Stunt Coordinator

Hi I am new and have some older equipment that I am looking to replace. I work at Circuit City and can get the following stuff from HK/Infinity for $1714.35 shipped. I am just wondering what you guys think. There is also a diff. package I can get for $948.58. Please do not say don't go with this or that if it is not something carried by Circuit because i am getting it from Circuit City or one of our vendor since I work for Circuit City and it will be easier on me. Here goes the stuff:

For $1714.35:
    Fronts: Infinity Alpha50BK
    Rears: Infinity Alpha25ESBK
    Center: Infinity Alpha37CBK
    Subwoofer: Infinity Alpha1200SBK
    Receiver: HK AVR430

For $948.58:
    Fronts: Infinity Primus360BK
    Rears: Infinity Primus160BKS
    Center: Infinity PrimusC25BK
    Subwoofer: Infinity PS12BK
    Receiver: HK AVR130

I would post links, but it says I can't since I have not posted 15 times yet.
    If you go to www,infinitysystems,com it shows all of the speakers.

2. Jason_M

So I got 46 Views and no responses. Could someone just comment on if they think it is a good deal or not or what they think of the equipment.

Thanks guys.

3. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

The 46 people, including myself, may not be familiar with the equipment you are asking about. The title of the thread didn't give me any indication of what you were buying, just a price. Give it a day or so and I'm sure someone will chime in with some info.

4. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Those are not bad speakers for what CC has to offer. I personally wouldn't buy them. I know one thing for sure I would skip the sub and save that money for something better.
    Do you know how much the sub is in the package deal?

I would save the money from the sub and put it into a HSU or SVS sub. I personally wouldn't waste the money on the Infinity sub.

The other note is the Alpha is the higher end of the 2 but I don't see tons of difference in the build of the speakers.
    The alpha has a bigger mid and woofer.

Receiver ....go with the 430 over the 130 as it will have a few more options that could benefit you in the long run.

5. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I also am not that familiar with any of the stuff you are choosing. I do know that the HK 430 is a more expensive receiver and would imagine that it would give you more power and features than the 130.

You are asking for opinions on this equipment. Remember, that these are only opinions. The only person that can say what is the best system is you. Good luck.

6. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

My friend has a full alpha setup. He has denon reciever and it sounds great. Between the 2 if you can swing the extra $700, the alphas are a much better speaker over the primus. BTW I also get accom through Harmon. :-D

7. Jason_M

Not a bad deal on this stuff at all through accomodations huh?!?

This is what MSRP on the accomodations website is.

For $1714.35: MSRP:
    Fronts: Infinity Alpha50BK $499 ea.
    Rears: Infinity Alpha25ESBK $349 ea.
    Center: Infinity Alpha37CBK $399 ea.
    Subwoofer: Infinity Alpha1200SBK $799 ea.
    Receiver: HK AVR430 $899 ea.

For $948.58:
    Fronts: Infinity Primus360BK $329 ea.
    Rears: Infinity Primus160BKS $129 ea.
    Center: Infinity PrimusC25BK $199 ea.
    Subwoofer: Infinity PS12BK $499 ea.
    Receiver: HK AVR130 $399 ea.

8. Jason_M

I understand everyone has their own opinion but there aren't too many stores around here to audition speakers other than Circuit City, Best Buy, Premier Audio, and Good Vibes. I don't like to buy things I haven't heard off of the internet. Right now I have some smaller Infinity bookshelves in fronts and rears (infinity rs2's), infintiy cc2 center (dual 5.25 and 1 inch tweeter) with some knob on the back for voice matching, and a infinity bu120 sub all ran off a Onkyo TXDS676 receiver. I really like it but I am always getting the itch to buy something new sinec I work at an electronics store. Now my hearing is really sub-par compared to some because of years of stupidity in my car and at work without proper protection. So to some they may not like my setup or Infinity speakers but I do and thats all that really matters when it comes down to it. Trust me I value all your opinions though. I am new to this and I couldn't do much without you guys. Now on another note, if you guys have car audio questions please ask and I will do my best to help out.

9. Michael__M

Michael__M Stunt Coordinator

I definitely prefer the Alpha line to the Primus. The Alpha line uses a different tweeter. I have used the Interlude series for a while and have been happy with them. The Alpha's are the closest thing to them they have out currently. If you like the sound of the Alpha's then got for it. If you don't then get something else. Cheap things you don't like actually cost more than expensive things you love.

As for the deal: Of course it's a good deal. Alot of people pay retail for these things and are perfectly happy.

10. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I fully agree with ChadLB. I had an Infinity sub and went to an SVS. MUCH better! Save the money on the sub and get something better, even if you have to wait a little longer for it. It's worth the wait. BTW, CompUSA sells HSU and Infinity, maybe you go audition some stuff there if you have one in your town.

11. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Wow Jason, that's a big price difference. And with speakers you usually do get what you pay for. Though with a good speaker company, the differences are relative--the Primus line may not sound as good as the Alphas but they will still sound good.

The Alpha sub has the EQ controls that enable the user to use Infinity's R.A.B.O.S subwoofer/room tuning system, something that can make a very audible difference in sound quality. And the Alpha has a more powerful amp than the PS12. Both their woofers use very sophisticated designs/materials, a design few other companies have the resources to research and build (not that this will guarantee you will like how they sound however).

And I haven't heard an Infinity sub yet that sounded boomy or weak, even in their lower price lines. They may not be able to crack your living room's sheetrock (who cares?) but IMO they provide quality sound to help you enjoy listening to movies and especially music.

And don't forget Harmon also owns JBL--JBLs have a more "fun" sound than Infinitys do (fun = bass is more punchy but very slightly boomy; and highs are more pronounced). I like both speaker companies.

And if you want more opinions, go to www.audioreview.com they have a huge amount of reviews on just about any audio component you can think of.

Depending on how long you plan to keep these speakers, think about where you could use that extra 750 bucks: a better receiver; another source component (for example, H/K makes standalone CD burners); a non-HD 36" TV from Toshiba (I'm looking at this myself); or a buttload of music or movie software.

LJ

12. John S

John S Producer

I'd probably go for the meanest 15" Sub they offer, and then work from there.

I like the Alpha's a lot, just not the sub to much. I mean it is ok, but nothing to write home about.

I have auditioned the Infinity Alpha fronts and center.

I have not auditioned that newer H/K AVR.
    For the money, I think I could put a system together that I would like much better without the accomodations website.

13. Jason_M

Here is what I plan on doing all together.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DVD player is still up in the air. Not sure if I will use the one built into the TV or get a seperate one.
    Also not sure on what DirecTV receivers I will get. I was looking into the Hughes Tivo one with the 35 hour capacity but I don't think it has a component output. So not sure yet.

14. John S

John S Producer

I do so love black wood grain!!!!
    Great choice!!!! lol

My JBL s38's are in a similar color and grain.

15. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Jason, if I remember correctly those special user-customisable surround speakers are quite expensive. Di/bi polar speakers do sound good for movies but do you have the special mounting positions required for these types of speakers? If not, I wouldn't waste the money on them. Depending on the size of your room, I would get bookshelf rears with at least a 5.25" woofer (though bigger would be better IMO).

LJ

16. Tyler M.

Tyler M. Agent

I also am considering the sames choices as you, I liked the alpha's more, but I can't afford them.

17. Tommy T

Tommy T Stunt Coordinator

Well, being an owner of the Alpha line with a Yamaha RX2400, I would say go for it. A couple of months ago I was deciding between them, KEFs and Def Techs. I auditioned them all in-house with the Yamaha and a Pioneer Elite 53tx.
    To be completely honest, the Infinity's and Yamaha were my initial last choices. After listening to all of the different combinations, I was sold on the Alphas and the Yamaha. What sealed the deal for me was the Alpha center. In a word awesome. If you can get by with that large of a center, and it is large, I'd say go for it.

One last note, skip the sub. I went DIY and oh my goodness, that is the best $300 I have spent on my system to date!

Tommy

18. Andy_Steb

Andy_Steb Stunt Coordinator

You mention Good Vibes are you from Champaign-Urbana, I went to high school there.
    I have a HK and Alpha setup, I really enjoy the sound. The 50's and 37c are nice speakers. I use the 40's for rears, they sound good on dvds, really shine on dvd-a and sacd. As far as the HK, get the biggest one you can afford. Here in New Orleans CC still has the some of the 525's left at clearance prices.
    As far as the sub, I know you want the CC discount but don't dismiss SVS. Just think about it, the Alpha 50's are 39" tall, the 20-39PC-Plus is 39" tall, they just look good sitting next to each other.

19. AndrewErickson

AndrewErickson Stunt Coordinator

If you're purchasing from CC, then why haven't you considered Polk?

Also, why are you going to pay $899 for a HK AVR430 when you can get it from Onecall for $648. I would seriously look at Onecall for the AVR525 for $584.

I also think your packages are too expensive.

I bought the following:

HK AVR325
    Polk RTI38 fronts
    Polk CSI40 center
    Polk RTI28 surrounds
    Audiosource SW-15 subwoofer(yeah, it's not the greatest)

for about $1,100

20. Jason_M

i never once said i was purchasing the AVR430 for $899.

Here are the prices I can get:

HK AVR430 $498.08
    Infinity Alpha50BK $184.80 ea. Fronts
    Infinity Alpha37CBK $144.00 Center
    Infinity Alpha25ESBK $140.00 ea. Rears
    Infinity Alpha1200SBK $280.00 Sub
    Shipping & Handling $138.83

I am not going with Polk because our accomodations with Polk isn't as good and there is no reunds, exchanges, returns or anything on the Polk stuff. All sales final. Our in store discount isn't as great as it used to be so I am going directly through the vendor. Right now our best deals are through HK/Infinity. we can also get 60% off of Monstercable products through Monster Cable.

Oh and yes I am from Champaign, IL