What's new

For $1200 is there any DVD player worth buying? (1 Viewer)

John Beavers

Second Unit
Brian,
Supposedly units manufactured in August and thereafter have had this problem fixed. Or at least that's the talk on the message boards I've been reading. I really have my heart set on this player, but I've a feeling that the A/V store salesmen aren't going to be happy with me when I ask them to open up the box and find the "made on" date for the player :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Frank, fair enough. Comparing components in one's own system is ideal, but not always practical.
You said:
Lets face facts, everyone's opinion on this subject, or any HT subject is going to be very SUBJECTIVE!
Yes, but my subjective opinions are the most objective you will find! :crazy:

Brian Gentry

Agent
John B.,

If I were you, I'd try to get a live demo of a 3800 before I bought it. I say this because, after using my Sony 7000 for so long, I was quite taken aback by how bad the user interface was thought out and how bad the remote was on the 3800. Two or three dozen tiny buttons, all of the same size, on a remote 2/3 the size of the Sony made for a less than idea experience. If you have learning remote (as I do), then this is far less of an issue. If you don't, you have to live with the less than ideal remote.

As far as the lockup issue and build date, I've read probably 200 (literally) posts on the subject. From those, I haven't been able to discern any pattern that would make me feel comfortable in laying down $1200 that was not refundable in full (no store credit) within a 30 day period. I.E., I have little confidence that the August players are any better than the February players. If a definite pattern emerges, and/or Denon makes a statement to that effect, I'd seriously consider buying another one.

John Beavers

Second Unit
Brian,

Problem being what is my alternative. I want a quality DVD player without the chroma bug and one that has DVD-A (I already have a SACD player).

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, perhaps one of the forthcoming universal players will be chroma-bug-free. Of course, the SACD feature will be redundant, but you don't have to use it if you happy with your SACD player. I would wait to see what the Yamaha DVD-S2300, Onkyo DV-SP800, and Integra DPS-8.3 offer. They will all be in your price range. The Yamaha and Onkyo players are supposed to sell for around $1000, and the Integra player will sell for $1200.
The older Kenwood Sovereign DV-5700 changer for about $800 and Rotel RDV-1080 single-disc player for about $1000 offer progressive-scan output without the chroma bug. They both provide DVD-Audio playback as well. Take a look at them. I feel the '1080 is a bit lacking in terms of build quality for the money, and it lacks stereo analog outputs (5.1-channel outputs only), but it is a good component. For more on the Kenwood Sovereign '5700, go to www.crutchfield.com .

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
How about an HTPC that can scale a picture to 790P or 1080I, but operates like a plug and play DVD player. I have never seen one of these in action, but they are selling them at avsforum....
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=157417
Sounds even better than the MSB/cinematrix mod that MSB was providing Sony owners. I ahd mine modified and love the ability to upscale to 790P. It it very close to HBO HD movies.
Food for Thought
Ron Boster

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks