What's new

For $0.99, you, yes you, can download "silence" from Apple's iTunes (1 Viewer)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Read it here.

Personally, I prefer the BBC Symphony Orchestra's version of John Cage's 4'33", but I am getting the surviving member of The Beatles and The Who together for a rousing rendition of this classic tune. :D

John Watson

Screenwriter
One of my earlier musical purchases was Simon & Garfunkel's "The Sounds of Silence".

I recall a thread a long time ago (on HTF I believe) about a suit concerning unauthorized use of Cage's "composition".

On silence as a musical activity, audience attention must be an issue. I bet you can hear pins dropping, yawns escaping, and ear wax being picked.

In this case, would Appple do anything about my hard drive drone, and the clatter of fans?

John Watson

Screenwriter
Since Danny posted this story, I came acoss a brief article on "silence" per se, in connection with this piece of "music", which pointed out that we don't know what silence is, because even in relative silence, we hear our own pulse, blood circulating in our ears etc. :)

Almost a case of beware of what you wish for, you may get it...

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Nuts. Just go to the public library and (hopefully) hear a live performance for free, as long as you like :D

Reminds me of a story a software engineer working on sound cards once told me, his team thought they'd cleverly come across a way to save reduce the size of audio files by saving silent bits by indicating length of silence, instead of saving the usual periodic samples (which would of course all say the same thing). Turns out the method was already patented (which they didn't know at the time), so their company had to fork over royalties for using the method.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks