What's new

Football playoffs and Superbowl to be broadcast in HDTV....... (1 Viewer)

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
According to this article..
http://www.audiorevolution.com/news/...uperbowl.shtml
Playoffs and Superbowl will be broadcast in HDTV. My question is...... how do I know what channel that will be? This is what confuses me most about HDTV?
By that time I'll have my TV/HDTV receiver and elliptical dish set up. How will I know what channel to tune to to get the HDTV games? And how will I know it's in HDTV 'mode' ? I'm such a newb! Please exuse the dumb questions.
thanks!
Jim

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
That article is over a year old...it refers to last year's playoffs and Superbowl.
You'll know HDTV when you see it. :)
- Steve

Scott_G

Second Unit
Rose bowl was HD from ABC ... but 4X3 :frowning:
Looked great, just fewer camara angles.

DanP

Agent
Slight clarification Scott... First off, theres no such thing as 4:3 HD. HD is inherently a 16:9 format. It is possible though that your local affiliate upconverts it's non-HD digital programming to 720p or 1080i and that would likely make it look better than the standard analog feed, but rest assured ABC did *not* do the game in true HD.

And as far as this years playoffs and Super Bowl go, unfortunately as Steve alluded to, none of the games will shown in true HD.

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
That sucks... I was all excited to see the playoffs and the superbowl in HDTV@! damn
Every channel should have HDTV!! They can save some bandwidth by cutting those damn stupid infomercials and Ms. Cleo!! ;)

Chris Moreau

Stunt Coordinator
The FOX WIDESCREEN(TM) picture is twice as sharp as that generated by most DVDs, and four times clearer than traditional analog television. Previous efforts to accommodate digital television users viewing NFL broadcasts resulted in side-by-side productions utilizing a fraction of the televising network's production capabilities
If this broadcast is in 480p, as stated earlier in the article, what do they mean by "twice as sharp" as DVDs? I watch my DVDs at 480p, so there should be no difference. Maybe they're referring to the fact that most people are still watching them at 480i?

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
Does Fox really think I'm buying this crap? :D
Last year I watched the Superbowl in true native HD from CBS. True that some replay angles were shown in SD and the pre-game was not HD, but the main attraction was shot using HD cameras so we could enjoy the game in all its HD glory.
This is just Fox's way of trying to pull the wool over our eyes. BTW, I am glad that it will be shot in widescreen but true HD is 16:9 1080i. Nice try Fox! :)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Remember, Fox will be showing the superbowl in 60fps anamorphic 480p. When you watch anamorphic DVDs, the source is only 24fps. The temporal resolution of this broadcast is over double that of DVD (and the bitrate is cranked to provide it).
Widescreen 480p for action in sports has the potential to rival 1080i (which has interlace combing). Golf will always look better in 1080i cause there ain't much movement. Basketball, hockey, and tennis can look great in 480p if they do it well. Football falls somewhere between.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
But wouldn't it look better in 720p at 60fps?
For people with the right equipment, substantially. For people like me with a DTC-100, both 480p and 720p are converted to 540p, and there isn't going to be a huge difference.

I wish 1080i didn't even exist; I'd much rather have 720p.

E

Eric Kahn

this is off the subject

are there any analog TV (non-HDTV) that will take the 480p progressive output from a progressive scan DVD and display it as 480p

my short, unsatisfying, experience with a mitsubishi HDTV has made me decide to wait a few years till they get 2 or 3 more generations of better hardware or there is actually somthing real to watch in my town on HDTV

it did not work worth a d*** on normal tv broadcast

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
While not HDTV, Fox and Thomson's have announced a partership to broadcast this year's Superbowl in 480p widescreen (aka EDTV). See the link below for details.
How do I know what channel to watch this on? I have my HDTV man coming tomorow to do the install... so I'll have HDTV for the first time tomorow! I'm so psyched!!!! ;)
Jim

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Jim,

What city do you live in/near? It depends on your location as to which channel you will receive Fox OTA DTV broadcasts. You should also be aware that not all Fox affiliates broadcast DTV signals, so you may still be out of luck depending on your location.

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Scott, thanks for the reply.. I live in central NJ about 25 miles from NYC, so I'll be getting my OTA HDTV channels from New York.
By the way.... DAMN you have alot of DVD's !!! haha. My wishlist isn't even that long! :) I'm working on 'em though.
thanks,
Jim

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Jim:
At 25 miles you should get their signal just fine (with a UHF antenna). Fox had major issues after 9/11 and started multicasting (WOR?) on a sub channel.
This was around the time of the World Series and caused the picture to look like they were wrestling King Kong on the Empire State Building. The broadcast went to hell for weeks :angry:. I haven't gone back, so I can't tell you what they are doing now.

Scott O'Keeffe

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

I could be wrong, but last I checked I thought that everything from the dtc-100 is output at 540P, except for 1081 and 720p, which would be upconverted to 1081.

You sure that 720P is output as 540P?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks