Football playoffs and Superbowl to be broadcast in HDTV.......

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Carr, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Stunt Coordinator

According to this article..
    http://www.audiorevolution.com/news/...uperbowl.shtml
    Playoffs and Superbowl will be broadcast in HDTV. My question is...... how do I know what channel that will be? This is what confuses me most about HDTV?
    By that time I'll have my TV/HDTV receiver and elliptical dish set up. How will I know what channel to tune to to get the HDTV games? And how will I know it's in HDTV 'mode' ? I'm such a newb! Please exuse the dumb questions.
    thanks!
    Jim

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    That article is over a year old...it refers to last year's playoffs and Superbowl.
    You'll know HDTV when you see it. [​IMG]
    - Steve

3. Scott_G

Scott_G Second Unit

Rose bowl was HD from ABC ... but 4X3 [​IMG]
    Looked great, just fewer camara angles.

4. DanP

DanP Agent

Slight clarification Scott... First off, theres no such thing as 4:3 HD. HD is inherently a 16:9 format. It is possible though that your local affiliate upconverts it's non-HD digital programming to 720p or 1080i and that would likely make it look better than the standard analog feed, but rest assured ABC did *not* do the game in true HD.

And as far as this years playoffs and Super Bowl go, unfortunately as Steve alluded to, none of the games will shown in true HD.

5. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill

6. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

Plus doent Fox have the SuperBowl this year? If so, Fox doesnt do HD.

7. Jim Carr

That sucks... I was all excited to see the playoffs and the superbowl in HDTV@! damn
    Every channel should have HDTV!! They can save some bandwidth by cutting those damn stupid infomercials and Ms. Cleo!! [​IMG]

8. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

While not HDTV, Fox and Thomson's have announced a partership to broadcast this year's Superbowl in 480p widescreen (aka EDTV). See the link below for details.
    http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/020107/72700_1.html
    The funny thing is the press release calls the presentation "FOX WIDESCREEN(TM)". Does this remind anyone of "Disney DVD"? [​IMG]

9. Chris Moreau

Chris Moreau Stunt Coordinator

10. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Does Fox really think I'm buying this crap? [​IMG]
    Last year I watched the Superbowl in true native HD from CBS. True that some replay angles were shown in SD and the pre-game was not HD, but the main attraction was shot using HD cameras so we could enjoy the game in all its HD glory.
    This is just Fox's way of trying to pull the wool over our eyes. BTW, I am glad that it will be shot in widescreen but true HD is 16:9 1080i. Nice try Fox! [​IMG]

11. Michael St. Clair

Remember, Fox will be showing the superbowl in 60fps anamorphic 480p. When you watch anamorphic DVDs, the source is only 24fps. The temporal resolution of this broadcast is over double that of DVD (and the bitrate is cranked to provide it).
    Widescreen 480p for action in sports has the potential to rival 1080i (which has interlace combing). Golf will always look better in 1080i cause there ain't much movement. Basketball, hockey, and tennis can look great in 480p if they do it well. Football falls somewhere between.

12. Peter McDonald

Peter McDonald Stunt Coordinator

But wouldn't it look better in 720p at 60fps? [​IMG]
    Peter

13. Michael St. Clair

14. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

this is off the subject

are there any analog TV (non-HDTV) that will take the 480p progressive output from a progressive scan DVD and display it as 480p

my short, unsatisfying, experience with a mitsubishi HDTV has made me decide to wait a few years till they get 2 or 3 more generations of better hardware or there is actually somthing real to watch in my town on HDTV

it did not work worth a d*** on normal tv broadcast

15. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Analog sets can not accept 480p....

16. Jim Carr

17. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Jim,

What city do you live in/near? It depends on your location as to which channel you will receive Fox OTA DTV broadcasts. You should also be aware that not all Fox affiliates broadcast DTV signals, so you may still be out of luck depending on your location.

18. Jim Carr

Hi Scott, thanks for the reply.. I live in central NJ about 25 miles from NYC, so I'll be getting my OTA HDTV channels from New York.
    By the way.... DAMN you have alot of DVD's !!! haha. My wishlist isn't even that long! [​IMG] I'm working on 'em though.
    thanks,
    Jim

19. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

Jim:
    At 25 miles you should get their signal just fine (with a UHF antenna). Fox had major issues after 9/11 and started multicasting (WOR?) on a sub channel.
    This was around the time of the World Series and caused the picture to look like they were wrestling King Kong on the Empire State Building. The broadcast went to hell for weeks [​IMG]. I haven't gone back, so I can't tell you what they are doing now.

20. Scott O'Keeffe

Scott O'Keeffe Stunt Coordinator

Michael,

I could be wrong, but last I checked I thought that everything from the dtc-100 is output at 540P, except for 1081 and 720p, which would be upconverted to 1081.

You sure that 720P is output as 540P?