Foodies: how to keep asian ingredients

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Marshall Alsup, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

I make a lot of Mexican and Italian food but I thought Id branch out and try something asian. I found a recipe to try but it uses some ingredients I'm not familiar with:

Mirin (Sweet Rice Wine)
    Rice Vinegar
    Sesame Oil

I picked them up but what I want to know is how to store them and how long they'll last. None of the bottles say anything about this and I have no clue :b Do any of them need to be refrigerated? I also got soy sauce, something else I've eaten but never really kept myself. Does that need to be refrigerated?

I like to think I know something about cooking but I'm quite out of my element [​IMG]

Thanks Guys,
    -Marshall

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

There is not much difference between what you have purchased and their Western equivlants.

Rice Vinegar has a shelf life pretty much the same as cider or white vinegar. Just keep store it in a closed bottle.

Mirin should probably be stored in the fridge after opening. Like all wine, it will spoil (turn to vinager) after exposure to air. Keeping it cool will retard that process. Since it is sweet, it will last longer than dry wine, but still it won't keep forever.

Sesane Oil will keep just as will olive oil, walnut oil, or canola oil. Quite a while, but it will eventually spoil. Store it as you would any oil. In your pantry at room temp is fine. Just don't expect it to last forever.

3. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

Excellent. Thx for the info Lew!

-Marshall