Food suggestions at Pac Bell Park?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LarryDavenport, Apr 19, 2002.

1. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I am going down to SF in May/June to see the Giants play the Diamond Backs (and the M's play the A's) and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of what to eat at Pac Bell Park.

2. David Brashear

David Brashear Stunt Coordinator

Gordon Biersch Garlic Fries

3. LarryDavenport

Thanks David but I can get Garlic Fries at Safeco. Is there anything uniquely SF at Pac Bell? Or do they have exceptional hot dogs or burritos? After watching a special on the food at Fenway, Wrigley Field, and Yankee Stadium on the Food Network I quickly became disatisfied with the food at Safeco, which is merely ordinary.

4. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Honestly, those who know, will tell you that you'll find better food at Network Associates Coliseum in Oakland. There you can find Chinese food, ribs, you name it.

At PacBell, you're going to have your fu-fu sushi dishes and $7 Heiniken's that they pour from a $1.50 bottle directly into a cup for you. Yawn.

The park itself has Oakland beat hands down, but the food is king in Oaktown.

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

6. LarryDavenport

I've been to the Coliseum twice and was unimpressed with the place itself (it's the Kingdome without a roof). I didn't try the food.

The show on the Food Network was called Ballpark Cafe (I just missed the sequel). The part about Fenway had to do with Lobster Tails and Chinese food. I know one of the parks bragged about their Cheese Steaks. Though the obvious choice would be Philadelphia I think it was Wrigley Field.

Of course the best food at Safeco is in the Diamond Club behind home plate. I sat there once because my housemate works for a company with tickets and once every couple years he gets his boss's tickets for a game. They are $250 each (you have to buy a seasons worth at around $20,000 a seat). For that price you get a great parking spot, and all the food and beverages (including cocktails in the lounge) you can consume. The day I went the buffet menu included a very good Prime Rib, Salmon, several pasta dishes, and desert. And when you are in your seats they give you a menu and you can keep ordering ballpark food and beer/soda until the 7th or 8th inning (I kept getting the sushi...the hotdogs at the Kingdome were way better). If you can afford $250 for one game, it sure is a nice treat.

Can someone recommend a place I can get takeout near Pac Bell? Maybe a Paninni or some sushi?

What should I get in Oakland? I don't think I got anything the last time I went.

At Safeco I usually bring food (sushi from the I-District or a Sub from someplace) or get a hamburger from Kidd Valley at Safeco (which is OK but not as good as the restaurants, a slightly better burger than Burger King).

7. Jeffrey_Jones

Jeffrey_Jones Second Unit

Larry,

I'm surprised you would consider the food we have at Safeco field ordinary. I have never been in another park where I could get all the basics, amazing garlic fries, killer dogs (including veggie dogs), good fish and chips, excellent chicken fingers, great BBQ, sushi, stir-fry, the list keeps going. Not to mention a wide variety of beers including many micro-brews.

I've never even heard of the Diamond Club. Maybe that's the problem...once you've had an experience like that, the rest of it might seem ordinary.

- Jeff

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

These Garlic Fries intrigue me, and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter

Seriously, where does one get them? They are not on the East Coast that I know of

9. LarryDavenport

I'm not saying that Safeco doesn't have variety or that the food is bad per se, but Safeco doesn't have anything exceptional or unique (by the way, the garlic fries were ripped off from SF, if not from somewhere else).

The food in the Diamond Club (those fenced off seats behind home plate) is good, what you would expect from a high-priced hotel, but it's not typical nor practical since you are eating off of fine china in a formal dining room.

After watching the special on ball park cuisine I realized that there isn't anything great at Safeco. (The deep dish pizza at Wrigley Field looked particular tasty). People who have been to a lot of ballparks would not hold up the Safeco Hot Dog as one of the best.

Part of the problem is that Safeco contracted one (1) company to be the concessor for all the food (even Kidd Valley and Ivar's is overseen by that one company). What's bad about that is since there is no competition there is no motivation to put out a GREAT product (ie. to be better than the other guy and make more money).

True I haven't eaten everything at Safeco (actually I hardly ever eat there) but I thought the hot dog I had was mediocre (the Canadian Jumbos at the Kingdome were better IMO), the Snow Cones are a joke, just colored water with no discernible flavor, the lemonade is fine but mostly ice, and the Kidd Valley burgers are twice as expensive as they are at the restaurant but aren't as fresh. (Though they beat the bad burger I had at the Hit It Here Cafe).

I will probably go to 25-40 games this year (including playoffs) and will try the burrito's and sushi (the pizza does not look all that appetizing). The BBQ sandwhiches in the Bullpen Market I hear are good, but look a bit on the messy side.

If I was going to add something "uniquely" Seattle to the food at Safeco, I don't know who makes them, but every year at Bumbershoot and Bite of Seattle there's a booth that make these great smoked salmon sandwiches and Ceasar salads that I'd buy if I could get them at the Safe.

10. Jeffrey_Jones

Jeffrey_Jones Second Unit

I didn't know that one company ran all of the concessions...that is never a good idea when it comes to quality.
    Have you tried an Ivar's-dog? I never have but they sound fairly unique for the Northwest. It might be close to the Salmon sandwich you had at Bumbershoot
    Edit - I don't care where we got the garlic fries as long as they are here to stay [​IMG]