food labels and liquor

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carl Johnson, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Does anybody know why liquor isn't labeled with nutrition facts like everything else in the grocery store? I've been cutting calories and the only way I was able to find out how many calories were in a can of beer was online and even then I had to break out a calculator(49 calories in 100ml=231.77 calories in 473ml, a 16 oz can of Colt 45). That people can have the nerve to tobacco companies for giving them cancer and McDonalds for making them fat despite the fact that warning labels and nutrition info has been made easily available for decades makes me wonder what would be Anheuser Buschs' defense to causing beer bellies?

2. Karl_O

Karl_O Stunt Coordinator

Beer nutritional? You must be kidding!

3. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I know beer isn't nutritional but neither is this can of Diet Mt Dew that I'm looking at. Why should they be labeled differently?

4. Karl_O

Karl_O Stunt Coordinator

Carl, had you gone to the Food and Drug Administration's web site (www.fda.gov)? Here is a direct link on the reason why food labels do not appear on alcoholic beverages:
    http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/fdnewlab.html
    Please look under the last part under "Nutrition Labeling--Exemptions."
    Since alcoholic beverages do not contain any significant amounts of nutrients, they are exempt from food labeling.

5. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Actually the Federal Government lacks the authority to regulate the interstate commerce in alcohol. See the repeal of prohibition, 21st Amendment, section 2. This gives the states the rights to regulate trade in alcohol, and basically means that the "commerce clause" doesn't apply to alcohol. This is also why states can erect barriers to importation of wine via carriers such as UPS.