1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Foo Fighters - One by One ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn C, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

So, what's the word on the street for the new Foo Fighters album? I've been listening to the single "All my Life", and I like it alot. It has really grown on me. Has anyone here managed to listen to the whole album?

2. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

I know the whole album is out there, I'm just not listening to it until Oct 22. And to be honest, I have tried to download a song here and there, but all I can find is loops.
    Anyway, this album is supposed to be another good one for the Foos. A lot of people are saying its kind of got that raw sound their first album did, but I find that a little hard to believe. Regardless, I love the single and can't wait till Oct 22!
    JQ

3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Yeah, I'm a fan who'll buy it release date. I'm of the opinion that the Foos are getting better with each album so far.
    To paraphrase Howard Stern (a big Foo fan himself), "who knew the drummer from Nirvana could do anything?" [​IMG]

4. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

I've got an advance cassette, and I like it. In my opinion it is different, but equally good.

5. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Cool. I guess I'll just have to pull the trigger on it. I doubt it's going to suck.

6. Trevor H

Trevor H Second Unit

7. Paul Case

Paul Case Supporting Actor

Say what you want about Dave Grohl's guitar playing, singing, and songwriting, but his talent as a drummer is undeniable. Anybody who disparages Grohl's drumming either knows absolutely nothing about drumming at all or just has an axe to grind with Grohl in general.

As far as the new Foos album is concerned, I have heard it and it is pretty good. Nothing fantastic or earth shattering, but it is a definite step up from their absolutely awful last album. This record sounds more like The Colour and the Shape, though it isn't as good.

Anyway, I'll be buying the new one.

8. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

9. David Ely

David Ely Supporting Actor

I've heard the new album and must say I quite like it. I don't think it's quite their best material, but it's a solid effort. I'll be picking it up Oct 22nd!

10. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

11. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

12. Trevor H

Trevor H Second Unit

13. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

14. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

I may be wrong, but I always thought Grohl was a guitar player 1st, then a drummer 2nd.

I used to play guitar (no time anymore), and there is nothing wrong with his playing or his songwriting. He isn't going to out-duel Joe Satriani, but he plays fine for a rhythm guitarist. I actually think he has decent voice. His voice isn't nothing special, but it fits the music well.

I think the appeal of Dave Grohl is that he just comes off as a very cool guy. He doesn't take things too serious and likes to have lots of fun.

As far thinking Nirvana is overrated, they pretty much single handily changed the face of music in the early 90's. Say what you want about them, but their music still sounds killer to me and many others.

I'll finish this post off with the 1st few lyrics from On a Plain. IMHO, they are simple yet brilliant.

I'll start this off without any words
    I got so high that I scratched 'till I bled

I love myself better than you
    I know it's wrong so what should I do?

The finest day that I ever had
    Was when I learned to cry on command

I love myself better than you
    I know it's wrong so what should I do?

I'm on a plain
    I can't complain
    I'm on a plain

-Dean-

15. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I've been listening to this CD for that past couple of days now, and I really like it! I agree with most posters that it's not really ground-breaking, but it is a solid effort and was more than worthy of a purchase.

I find it most enjoyable.

16. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Shawn,

The 1st time through, I wasn't sure about One by One, but the more I listen to it, the more I like it. It isn't better than Colour and the Shape, but I do like it a bit more than their last effort. As you said, it is nothing ground-breaking, but I wasn't expecting it to be.

-Dean-

17. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

What Happened to Pat Smear I know he left the band during the recording of the last album, but does anyone know why?

18. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

LOL...Pat Smear...I forgot about him. I bet the girls love him for that name. [​IMG]

19. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I bought this CD on release day and I really like it. IMO All My Life is a great song! The CD is getting a lot of play from me.
    I never could understand why someone comes into a thread on a subject that they don't like just to tell everyone there that they don't like it. If you don't like it, THEN DON'T READ THE THREAD! [​IMG]

20. Andy Anderson

Andy Anderson Second Unit

This CD has been in my car stereo since the release date--it has trumped Beck's "Sea Change"--what I'd been addicted to before. Like "There is Nothing Left to Lose", this one gets better on repeat listenings. Don't get me wrong though, it does have its share of songs with immediate appeal. A bonus DVD is included which has some video clips of the guys in the studio and editing the "All My Life" video. A handful of songs are included with both DD5.1 and stereo mixes, with or without video. A very cool bonus, if you ask me.

You know, I'm not a die-hard Dave Grohl fan, but I like his work with the Foos, (this has been one of my more anticipated albums of this year) and he continues to impress me. I saw him and the Foos live at a Summersault concert (run by Our Lady Peace) in Ottawa a couple of years ago. Great lineup, by the way: Eve6, The Catherine Wheel, Perfect Circle, Foo Fighters, Our Lady Peace, Smashing Pumpkins (on their final tour). Anyway, Dave was a very cool person, an energetic and appreciative front man, and a lot of fun. I honestly don't think he claims to be a superstar, and I get the impression from him that the music, and the fans' enjoyment comes first. I think that's a cool thing.