Following DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnS, Dec 11, 2001.

1. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I just saw this at the rental counter and took it home to watch. Haven't watched it yet.
    If people don't know, this is a Chistopher Nolan(Memento) film. It's about a guy who's obsessed with following strangers, and then is led into a dark underworld. A lot of triple-crossing and doubling back and flash fowards are involoved.
    The DVD is a special edition with the abilitly to restructure the story chronologically.
    MY QUESTION
    this is a columbia/Tri-Star disc, and it's in full frame. So, did Nolan shoot this in full frame???
    Also, has anybody else seen this film???

2. Doug R

Doug R Supporting Actor

I'm fairly certain this is just a full frame release. Given the off-and-on yearly shoot Nolan did and its budget, it's understandable.

I saw Following a few months ago and enjoyed it. If you're a fan of Memento, do yourself a favor and see Following. It might not be as polished but its non-linear structure will fascinate anyone intrigued by Memento.

I hope you enjoy it John.. please post your thoughts after viewing.

Doug

3. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    I could have sworn that Nolan made reference to how he shot this film in the television interview that's included on the Memento disc. It's been a while since I watched that, though, so I could be wrong. I think I might pick this one up sight unseen.

4. Peter Ohlert

Peter Ohlert Extra

I just picked the Following DVD up at lunch and noticed that it listed on the back a Full-Screen Presentation. The Amazon specs list an Anamorphic 1.66:1 transfer. 1.66:1 would seem like the right ratio if he was doing a low-budget 16mm shoot, which I believe he did. What I wonder was that Zeitgeist (the theatrical releasing company) was supposed to release the DVD on their own, had it done and had a release date (early sept.). I wonder if they had done a 1.66:1 Anamorphic transfer and Columbia/Tri-Star decided to full-frame it? I know you don't lose too much info croping from 1.66 to 1.33, but I'm an OAR freak and if this is what happened I'll be ticked.

-Peter

5. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Just finished watching the movie.
    It's 1.33:1 and 2.0 surround. B&W
    The movie is great. Very intreaging. The film works great as B&W and out of order. It ranks right up there with Nolan's Memento.
    I still have two questions about the film tho, which might get answered when I watch the film using the chronological feature.
    RATING=A

A must see and must buy DVD!