What's new

Fog Remake? (1 Viewer)

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
So I haven't seen any official thread for this movie, maybe because it was "that" bad. However, I cannot say this for I did not see it.

Wanted to get anyone's opinion on this classic remake? Did anyone see it??

Edwin_H

Stunt Coordinator
It's a terrible awful film. I love Carpenter's original and I wasn't really opposed to this remake. But it's just total s#&$. The original is far far superior in every way shape and form. CG fog looks really bad. Tom Welling should stay on Smallville. The token black character that they just had to put in the film to be hip is completely out of place. Even Selma Blair can't save this piece of crap. Ugh! Stay way from this one.

Hank_P

Second Unit
I forced to see this movie this past Sat. On the second to largest screen in the theater (14 screens), there were three people in the theater, that's me, my wife (who forced me to go, and she owes me now!) and some guy.

It is that bad, that stupid, that poor...etc.. the list of wrong things about this movie is too long.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
All these comments with negative feedback, and yet it still hit number one at the box office last weekend. You Americans need to be more picky with your moviewatching. :D

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
The fact that it wasnt screened for critics before is an indication. The review in todays papers stated that the pacing was slow and the editing was bad. It managed to be number 1 though. All those teens need something to do on a Friday and Saturday night.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I'm STILL trying to get over the wretched POS that the new "The Fog" remake was. Holy crap!

I was literally DRAGGED to see this on Sunday. I had hoped there'd be something in it worthwhile. There wasn't. I even watched the original before I saw it Sunday afternoon. Big mistake as the remake looked even worse in comparison,

I'm sitting here trying to think of a single decent thing to say about the remake and I can't. *Everything* was bad. I laugh when I think of Tom Welling and the director saying it's more "sophisticated" than the original, LOL! Who are they trying to kid?

How does this little, all white fishing community land ONE black dude from the ghetto? Was this their lame way of adding some racial equality? It's made worse as the black character is the single most annoying one in the bunch so obviously I wanted him to die first.

Just why did the filmmakers decide to tie in the characters by making them related to the town's founding fathers? Does everything have to fit in perfectly so the idiotic teen audience can "get it"? No blood? Watch Father Malone get run through with the glass shards at the end, they look pristine without a single drop on them! I've seen more gore on *TV*!

There are scenes and dialogue lifted straight from the original but don't come off nearly as well. Why? Shitty direction but more importantly, shitty acting. Tom Welling is just another pretty face who will easily be forgotten in 2-3 years. I can't even remember the names of the rest of the cast besides Selma Blair (and BTW, just HOW in the hell can she be her age and have a kid THAT old? Did she give birth when she was 12 or something?)

Man alive, couldn't John Carpenter have spoken up at all? He WAS one of the producers afterall. Like "Hey Wainwright, this is becoming a major crapfest. Maybe you wanna change something?"

At least twice I wanted to walk out of the theater. I can't remember the last time that thought ran through my mind. Now we know why Sony didn't want to screen this for critics, it's downright brutal. I'm still thinking it just wasn't a movie but random scenes quickly cut together, a student film "tribute" that wasn't finished yet.

"The Fog" is the worst film of the year.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
You know, I don't have to get down on my hands and knees and take a big sniff to know how bad a turd smells! I saw this coming when on set interviews started hitting and how condescending the current FOGgers seemed toward the original and the original cast. Now what are they saying? I won't even rent this. I have the original on DVD.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Pretty sad. I did want to find out what was so bad. You helped spell things out.

Next up for the John Carpenter remake machine: The Thing.:frowning:

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
I dig the original alot I love early Carpenter. All they had to do was use the same script and remake it. Why the changes? The fact that it was number 1 shows that showing Maggie Graces Ass in the trailers is all you need to be number one. Universal shoulda shown some ass in the Serenity trailer.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

I'd like to see a remake of "Prince of Darkness". Lots of potential severely limited by its low budget.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member

Prince of Darkness is one of my top three favorite horror films, and I am as against a remake for it as one could possibly get. I think its absolutely perfect, and couldn't be improved upon in any way. If they absolutely have to remake another Carpenter film, I hope its either Starman or Dark Star, his two films that I care nothing for, not one of his masterpieces.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Man - these reviews are bordering on "Jaws - the Revenge" bad... My favorite "bad" movie !

Can't wait til it hits cable !

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
The original sucked pretty badly..almost fell asleep during that one.

This one can't be any worse. I'll wait for the DVD.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Starman is one of Carpenter's best flicks, so I doubt that'll ever get remade. Dark Star could be remade, but since it was a student film, essentially, and most of its charm COMES from that fact, I don't think people will touch it. It'd be like making a high-budget remake of Clerks or something. Prince of Darkness however, is a great idea surrounded by god-awful execution and direction by a man at the height of a coke binge. At least that's how it came off. I'd love for someone to remake that flick with a better script (It's Carpenter's worst by far) and WAY better actors. It had some atmosphere, but it totally wastes it about 20 minutes in.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
While I thought this was a pretty terrible movie (definately in the lower 3 of the year--nothing will beat "Cursed"), I'm not going to bemoan the fact that I saw it or anything. I pretty much despise the idea of remakes, but for some strange reason, I feel compelled to see them anyway. The original isn't going anywhere, and this remake was so forgetable that it probably won't enter my consciousness anytime soon. I guess that's the best way to describe this one: it didn't stick with me at all. It was that bland and I haven't really thought about it at all until reading this thread.

Anyway, this one doesn't even compare to the original, and it has nothing to do with the fact that it's a typical PG-13 horror remake. It's not like the original was a huge gore-fest, and it would probably be rated PG-13 today (I think this might have been discussed over in the film/documentary forum). This one is just bad at its core, and I personally want all these out-of-nowhere and unnecessary plot twists in movies to end.

And they better leave "Halloween" alone, as far as remakes go. I know that's wishful thinking, as I give it about 5 years before it's butchered. In fact, they should just leave all of Carpenter's films alone, as I've enjoyed all of them (save his last few).

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
from what I understand, Carpenter himself is semi-pursuing a producer credit on a possible remake to happen in the next year or two.

and if we're talking Carpenter remake, while I'd like for someone to seriously tackle the ideas and concept of "Prince of Darkness" and make a good movie out of it, I think you could (forgive me for saying this, film geeks) remake "Big Trouble in Little China" very successfully at this point. As a matter of fact, as evidenced by the success of stuff like "Kung Fu Hustle" either a re-release or a full-scale big budget remake of "Big Trouble" would go over VERY well in this day and age.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member

I don't think the script for Prince of Darkness is the least bit bad, let alone his worst. I find it to be Carpenter's most intelligent and thought provoking. I love all of the theoretical, scientific, and religous discussion in this film. He takes all of these wonderful ideas and forms them into one of the most intriguing, satisfying storylines in the entire genre. It all makes for a very engaging viewing experience.

As for the cast, aside from The Thing, this is my favorite ensemble in a Carpenter film. They all do fine jobs, especially Pleasance and Wong. The atmosphere is perfect. So is the dread inducing score, which is a perfect fit. Like Prince of Darkness is Carpenter's best film, the haunting music throughout the film makes for his best score.

The film is slow burning, yet intensely unnerving. The overall mood, the street people, the church itself, and the eerie occurences caused by the Anti-God's growing power all make for an unsettling watch, and that's only the half of it. I also must mention the recurring dream sequence. A brilliant idea that adds an even deeper level to the film's frightening nature.

I fail to see what's so horrible about this film. Disagree if you will, but I still think its a perfect, intelligent gem that Carpenter has never bettered.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks