Focal Drivers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Cheung, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Jon Cheung

Jon Cheung Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys, I'm looking at buying some speakers right now and I told this to one of my friends and he said, well, instead of buying some speakers, why dont you build some. He suggested getting some Focal drivers and making the cabnet ourselves. We do know how to build the boxes so that wont be an issue. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experiences with Focal and how they sound. They make some really amazing car audio speakers but I dont know about home audio. If you have any other suggestions on drives, please tell me. My guess is 1 driver, 1 mid, and 1 tweater but that can easily change. Thanx!!!

2. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Focal is highly regarded. When you say "know how to make the boxes" are you talking about speaker design or woodworking skills? Excellent drivers in a poorly designed enclosure will sound horrible. Good crossover design is also essential. Check out the DIY area on this forum (maybe the mods can move this post?)...

3. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

4. Brandon Blair

Brandon Blair Stunt Coordinator

Focal drivers are made by JM Lab, which has some of the best speakers you can buy. Their drivers are also used in the Wilson WATT speakers as well, again more of the best speakers there are. Though there are a bunch of good drivers out there, I think you could find a pretty big croud that would argue focal may be the best.
    www.focal-jmlab.fr
    -Brandon

5. Jon Cheung

Jon Cheung Stunt Coordinator

Awesome thanks guys. Well what I said that I know how to build boxes, I know many components about building sub boxes for cars and such. My friend knows tonnes more about this than me and his boss has built speakers for home audio so I think we can build a pretty sweet box but I will definetly check out the DIY area and see what people say about all this and what size of box to make and such. Thanx guys!