What's new

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The Focal Chora 826-D is a beautiful system, lets take a look! Let’s say you’re in the market for an upscale 5.1 suite of speakers with Dolby Atmos upfiring capability (5.1.2), and you want to add a bit of style on top of all that sonic beef. One new, interesting option in that space comes from French brand Focal. While Focal was primarily known to me for their studio quality headphones, they have recently revamped and expanded their Chora series of Home Theater speakers, and I have been test driving such a package to fit my living room over the last few weeks. Focal Chora 826-D offers these in 3 color schemes, I went with piano black but dark and light wood grain examples are also shown throughout this post.

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Excellent, very detailed review, Sam.

Like you, I am not totally sold on upfiring Atmos speakers. I understand the need for them when there are constraints for putting speakers above you. Still, I wasn't impressed with the Dolby labs demo of upfiring Atmos and I can't believe that you can get the same laser direct experience with any floor speakers. All that being said, if I read your opinion correctly, you seem to have come to a satisfactory compromise on the Atmos experience with the Focals. They are handsome speakers!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Thanks Ron! Agreed completely. This room would be impossible to add downfiring speakers without serious construction work, so upfiring are a great compromise technologically and a serious upgrade in style =)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
@Sam Posten - since our recent relocation I am working on turning a bonus room into a home theater and may be hitting you up for some advice and perspective on the upward firing speaker option. I believe I can get downward firing installed without busting the bank but want to explore the options :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
@Sam Posten - since our recent relocation I am working on turning a bonus room into a home theater and may be hitting you up for some advice and perspective on the upward firing speaker option. I believe I can get downward firing installed without busting the bank but want to explore the options :)

cool, I always love helping folks spend money!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks