1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Focal - Center Channel Problem

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Tom-K, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Tom-K

Tom-K Stunt Coordinator

I'm in the process of building/helping a friend build the focal Super center channel kit from Zalytron to match some Aria 7 mains and am having some problems with the midrange section of the center channel. When playing the center channel thru a Carver 705x, the center channel seems to be clipping. We have tried each section separately, and the woofer circuit and the tweeter circuit work fine. However when testing the midrange alone, the amp clips continuously. Has anyone else had any problems like this? I would think a stand alone amp would have no problem driving a load represented by this driver. Any ideas?

2. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

send the driver back and get a replacement

3. Tom-K

Tom-K Stunt Coordinator

I know its not the driver because I had him connect a 7" inch 8 ohm driver as well, and it does the same thing. Anybody have experience with the crossover. The schematic on Zalytron's website is what I used, but I noticed another website www.wmeckle.com he added another 33uf capacitor into the circuit. Would the missing cap have anything to do with it?

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

If somehow the impedance goes really low for the midrange+crossover, it could cause the amp to clip at high enough volume levels.