Foam surround rot question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ben_wood, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Ben_wood

Ben_wood Stunt Coordinator

Many vintage speakers suffer from the dreaded foam surround rot problem. I have a pair of JBL L150 towers (early 80s) that I have had to replace the surrounds on the woofers and passive radiators. My question is: Are modern speakers still vulnerable to this problem or have there been advances in manufacturing that has solved this?

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I'd imagine that eventually they'll all fail at some point and that would be a function of construction, use, environmental conditions, etc. In many cases though, as you've determined, they can be replaced. A specific question might be better directed towards the manufacturer of the driver as perhaps they've access to accelerated aging tests as a prediction of longevity.

3. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

Ben, you can actually replace the foam surrounds if you would like to keep the speakers, check out this link . I researched this problem for a friend a few years ago, and kept the link just in case.
    Good luck!
    Pete

4. MarkE

MarkE Auditioning

Just don't go with foam. I have a pair of Dynaco speakers purchased in around 1970. I took them to college in 1973, and used them pretty much continuosly since, and last week, my daughter took them to college with her. They still sound great. Butyl not Foam.

5. Manny_S

Manny_S Stunt Coordinator

SImply Speakers does foam surround replacement. Two of my friends have used their service with great results. They also sell kits if you think you can handle the repair yourself.

6. Ben_wood

When I asked this question I was thinking specifically about the brand new Hsu VTF-2 in my system. It has a foam surround on the driver, but I've read that the VTF-3 has a rubber surround (touted for it's extra life span). I guess that I'll email the good Dr.(thanks for the suggestion Chu Gai!) and ask if they have considered offering an upgraded version of the 10 in. driver (with perhaps a butyl surround like MarkE mentioned). My other speakers - Ascend Acoustics - all feature the rubber surrounds. I just would really like to avoid the foam rot issue if at all possible.

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

let us know what, if anything, you find out. now Ben...i'd say getting 30 years out of your speakers is pretty damned good, rot or no rot!

8. Ben_wood

According to Dr. Hsu there are currently no plans to upgrade the VTF-2 driver with a rubber surround.

9. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    Foam rot is the main reason I only buy speakers with a Santoprene surround.