Foam by the tweeter experiment

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ColinM, Mar 18, 2002.

1. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I tossed my Yamaha MTM-style (I'm suspicious of it's true quality [NS-AC300])in favor of a horizontal NHT Zero between my 'Ones. While better overall, I felt that the upper mid / lower treble was skewed by the top surface of the set, since the speaker has to sit back 2-3" from the front.

I had a .75 x 1.5" piece of very pourous open cell foam lying around, and after seeing M&K and others doing it for years, I thought I'd give it a shot. Using a highly secret adhesive, (spit), slapped it on there (below the tweet) and listened.

I think it worked great! What seemed to be a sense of reverb dissappeared almost completely. I still feel as if there are some other interactions happening, but overall I'm pleased.

Yes, I am a putz. Yay for little old me.

One Yamaha Center for sale!

- C

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

So you had your center pushed back so that the sounds had a "shelf" in front of the speaker to reflect off of.

Did you put the foam on the shelf, or attach it below the tweeter on the speaker? I'd suggest the shelf approach as you likely have other sounds being reflected.

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I have a V series Sony TV, top mounted controls. The speaker sits back 4". The foam is 3/8" thick, and tacked directly on the speaker face, below the tweet.
    On the shelf?
    OK...I'll try it.
    Without the spit....[​IMG]
    [​IMG] 600[​IMG]

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Is there any reason why you can't have the center speaker front baffle situated flush with the TV's screen?

5. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

It would sit on the control buttons.

It (Sony) also has a curved top, so I have to use shims to angle the speaker down and blu-tack to keep it from vibrating off. A bit rigged, but it's what I gotta do.

I'm looking for an NHT MTM center to match, and will do the foam trick again...the single woofer on the Zero is absolutely pounding at -5 reference, even when crossed at 100Hz. (6db / oct?) I don't know how steep the HK's cut off. I think 2 woofers will help relieve some of that stress.

6. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

No difference really, with the foam on the set in front of the tweeter.

On to other things.....