What's new

FM Radio Reception and a good universal remote (1 Viewer)

How do I get good FM reception from my Sony Receiver? It has a 75ohm input (screw in type). I don't want to put the unsightly T cables on the wall. I have an older (early 90's) Terk model FM antenna/booster but that thing stinks. I have never been impressed with the reception of that unit.
What do you all use?
Secondly, I got a Universal Remote MX-500 for Christmas and that thing is great! No coffee table clutter whatsoever. DVD, SAT, RECV, TV, CD...all in one. I can browse the DVD and SAT menus with it and control the receiver volume without switching the remote to the receiver. All this using one hand lying down on the couch!!! Touch screen remotes can't offer that!!
http://www.universalremote.com/htm/products/index.html

Scott Kriefall

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Have you tried running the lead from the dipole antenna down the back of the cabinet, and then running the "T" portion along the floor/moulding? It's certainly not the optimal placement, but it shouldn't be any worse than the Terk.

Alternatively, do you have a television antenna in the attic or on the roof? If so, you should be able to purchase a FM/TV splitter that would allow you to use it as an FM antenna.

The FM antenna I use is a cheap pair of TV "rabbit ears" hanging loosely behind the stereo cabinet. I simply attached a 300ohm->75ohm transformer to the antenna's twinlead and then connected that to the 75ohm FM antenna input on the receiver. Works fine for the local stations.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
can browse the DVD and SAT menus with it and control the receiver volume without switching the remote to the receiver. All this using one hand lying down on the couch!!! Touch screen remotes can't offer that!!
I can do the same things with my $60 Kameleon "touchscreen" remote from the Shack. :D
Sorry I can's help with the FM thing..I have a 5 year old little wedge antenna that has that RF connection and it seems to do ok...just had to audition a few before I found the right one.
Alfer

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks