What's new

FM/Internet streaming radio with recording functionality? (1 Viewer)

thetao

Grip
Real Name
Todd
I wasn't sure where to post this. I am not looking for an AV component, but a self-contained, easily transportable FM/Internet radio that also supports timed recordings. So far the only thing I've found is the Sangean DDR-63, which is way over my price point, has lots of features I don't need, questionable build quality, and doesn't appear to supports timed recordings anyway. There are dozens of radios that do FM and Internet streaming, but none appear to support recording. Hopefully I'm missing something. Does anybody have a recommendation?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If such a thing exists, I suspect it would be a computer based solution. Honestly, the market demand for exactly what you're requesting seems like it would be almost zero, which makes me doubt anyone makes it.

thetao

Grip
Real Name
Todd
Shrug. So many companies are 90% of the way there. You'd think one would add a recording feature to distinguish themselves.

I also just found the Telestar M12i. No FM and apparently only one (uncreative) programmable recording...but they're on the right track.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Shrug. So many companies are 90% of the way there. You'd think one would add a recording feature to distinguish themselves.

I also just found the Telestar M12i. No FM and apparently only one (uncreative) programmable recording...but they're on the right track.

Companies don’t manufacture products to distinguish themselves – they manufacture what they believe will sell.

AFAIK in the history of hi-fi, no one ever made a tuner with on-board recording capability as a standalone component, even in the days when FM was highly popular. The recording capability has always been accomplished via a separate device. Not sure why anyone would expect something different in this day and age when it’s difficult to even find a stand-alone tuner anymore.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

thetao

Grip
Real Name
Todd
Shrug again. They're selling in Germany. Thanks for the replies. As is often the case, I'll find my own way.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
AFAIK in the history of hi-fi, no one ever made a tuner with on-board recording capability as a standalone component, even in the days when FM was highly popular.

Not quite the case.

My old ghettoblaster from back in the day, had a built-in cassette unit which could record straight from the fm (or am) radio.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Not quite the case.

My old ghettoblaster from back in the day, had a built-in cassette unit which could record straight from the fm (or am) radio.
The ability to record directly from the AM/FM radio onto audio cassette was actually quite standard with '80s - '90s era Ghettoblasters. Department store catalogues back in the day even touted this feature! I also remember reading articles back then about listeners who would complain about the DJ interrupting the music they were trying to record in that fashion! :lol:

However, I don't suspect this is what the OP is looking for.

CHEERS! :)

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
There are apps available that do this, like LiLiCAST and uSave.it. You could get a tablet or small laptop and set it up with a bluetooth speaker to be your portable radio.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks