FM Broadcasters for portable devices?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by Aaron Silverman, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Jan 22, 1999
    Aaron Silverman
    Hey Gang,

I'm thinking about getting one of those FM transmitter doohickeys so I can listen to my iPod in the car (my wife's car has a tape deck, but mine doesn't). Mostly I hear they suck. My impression is that I would want one that plugs into the cigarette lighter rather than a battery-powered one for decent signal strength, but beyond that, I'm not really sure.

Anyone have any recommendations?
  2. Scott_Sch

Scott_Sch Stunt Coordinator

Jan 3, 2002
    I went through this at Christmas time when I was looking to get my wife something she could use to play her iPod in her car without having to go through the whole RCA connection angle.

I wound up with a Monster iCarPlay unit which plugs into the cigarette lighter for power. We used it on a trip and it worked fairly well. There was a little interference but nothing that made it distracting by any means. You also have the choice of a number of different stations, so we were usually able to find one that sounded pretty good (until you drove out of that stations range...or maybe into the range I should say).

The direct connections are better but from a quick and easy standpoint, this FM transmitter seemed to work pretty good.

Hope that helps.
  3. EvanW

EvanW Stunt Coordinator

Feb 22, 2005
    direct connect is the way to go in most cases if not possible FM transmitters are fine, however they are retardly quiet because the ipods 1/8 inch output has about a 1 volt output so either listen quiet which is fine, or put a in line voltage booster or a portable headphone amp or something to get the voltage up.