What's new

FM Antenna (1 Viewer)

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
So my first confession is that I haven't been on this site in a loooong time. Years. This is because back about 7-8 years ago I found all the information I needed to purchase the components I needed to last a long time. But I'm back looking for more info.
So back in the day, 2001 (wow, its been more than 7-8 years), I bought a Denon 3802. Pretty fantastic for that time. It's still going strong. Haven't had one problem with it and still runs my main home theater. I just don't know if it'll ever die..knock on wood.
So on to my main question...a while ago I lost the FM Antenna that connects to the back of the Denon. So I get no stations. What do I need to get to replace it? Is there a special one I need to buy? Or can I get some generic one from Radio Shack to do the trick? Any links to good ones? Any good ones that will pick up the stations a little further away?

Thanks in advance!

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The FM band is smack in the middle of the VHF tv band, between two channels, so any good VHF tv antenna would be ideal. For distant stations a roof antenna would be the best choice, possibly with rotator to get stations from different directions.

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
Ok, so the back of my Denon has a 52 ohm FM Coax input. I just did a quick google search and all could find was cables, but I need an actual antenna right? Im not sure where to look.

Also, underneath the FM Coax input is a "signal ground" input. Does that have anything to do with the antenna?

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
No, the "signal ground" is for a phono (turntable) input connection.

You don't need anything special for an FM antenna. In fact, all you need is a press on 300 ohm to 75 ohm adapter. Then you can connect a regular dipole 300 ohm fm antenna to the adapter and press the 75 ohm portion onto the barrel FM connector on the Denon.

Unless you are in a deadzone, this is all you really need for FM signals.

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
Thanks John..I appreciate the input. And 75 ohm is ok even though it says 52 on the connection on the Denon?

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Really? The back view I saw of the Denon 3802 says "FM COAX 75 Ω", so do pages 6 and 42 of the manual. Not sure where you find 52 Ω...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks