FM Antenna

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Bob_M, May 15, 2005.

1. Bob_M

Bob_M Stunt Coordinator

Hi All,

I am in the process of building an addtion to my home. Before I close up the wall I would like to run a wire from the HT room up to attic for an FM antenna. Can I get an indoor anteena that would work in the attic and more importantly what kind of wire should I run?

thanks Bob

2. BobK

BobK Extra

Bob,

I have an inexpensive radio shack omnidirectional antenna in my attic and it works just fine. Easily picks up stations 35-40 miles away. I used rg-6 coax for the run to the basement location where the receiver is.

Bob K

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Nice to see someone doing it right! I have one like this – see item PR-6010: http://www.lashen.com/vendors/winegard/fm_antennas.asp

As BobK noted, you can use RG-6 for the cable, and also RG-59. If the antenna or receiver only has 300-ohm (i.e., screw-terminal) connections, you can use transformers.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Bob_M

Bob_M Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Guys, that was a big help. Bob

5. Bob_M

Bob_M Stunt Coordinator

Wayne

Is the PR-6010 fairly small. I want to mount in my attic and only have about 4' high and 4' wide spot to put it in?

What if I just put a simple FM dipole in the attic, hit a transformer and bring it down to the reciever in RG-6?

Thanks Bob

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    A dipole in the attic will work fine like that, definitely work better than down in the room. But keep in mind that dipoles are directional, so make sure it is aimed right.

The 6010 is omnidirectional – the site says it is over 5 ft. wide, which looks too big for your attic. That seems really big to me, though – you might call Winegard and verify.

Alternately, if you have an electronics hobby story in your area they might carry something suitable.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt