What's new

Flying to Chicago friday. (1 Viewer)

Greg_L_C

Stunt Coordinator
My Good friend and neighbor, and I are going up to Chicago for the weekend. He grew up in Chicago and hasn't been back in 20 years. His life long friend "Gino" (I won't mention what he does for a living), is going to take us back to the old neighborhood and to a Cubs game. Where Staying at a Holiday Inn downtown. I would like to experience some other stuff that is unique to Chicago, besides going to Wrigley Field. Need some Ideas on where to go and what to see.

Thanks
Greg

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
Any of the major museums are great, especially the Museum of Science and Industry. But, you also might want to check out the Art Institute or Shedd Aquarium.

Other things to do:
If it's a nice sunny day, go to the top of the Sears Tower (skydeck) for an awesome view of the city.
While downtown, make sure to stop at Gino's East for some great pizza.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
If it's the right Holiday Inn, then you might be right next door to the McClurg's movie theater which was one of the theaters that was showing AOTC in digital.
Starting August 2nd they will have Signs playing in digital. So if it is the right one, we are talking about a 10 second walk to the theater.
Not super special, but convenient as hell and HTF related.

Greg_L_C

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the great suggestions. The hotel is on 350 N. Orleans, going to take the train from O'hare and its supposed to stop somewhere close to the hotel.

Greg

Greg_L_C

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the great suggestions. The hotel is on 350 N. Orleans, going to take the train from O'hare and its supposed to stop somewhere close to the hotel.

Greg

Michael*K

Screenwriter
The Holiday Inn that you're staying at is not the one next to McClurg Court (the best theater in the city, BTW.) It is atop the Apparel Center, directly across from the Merchandise Mart. If you take the Brown Line branch of the CTA, the Merchandise Mart stop puts you a block away from the hotel. Since you'll be right on the river, might I suggest a boat tour? In particular, there is an outstanding architecural boat tour that boards from Michigan Avenue. Easily within walking distance of your hotel. There are other boat tours as well that traverse the river, the lake or both.
I'd also highly recommend a trip to the Museum of Science and Industry, though you'll need to take a bus or the train to get there. For observation decks, I actually prefer the one atop the John Hancock Center over the skydeck at Link Removed. Very impressive if you can go up at night and see the city ablaze with light.
Lincoln Park Zoo isn't that far (an easy bus ride) and it's just a few blocks from another of my favorite museums, the Chicago Historical Society. From your hotel, you'll also be within walking distance of the Gene Siskel Film Center. Not sure what might be playing there this weekend. The Museum of Broadcast Communications downtown at Michigan Ave and Washington has a great archive of old television and radio shows.

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
Train directions:

Take the Blue line train from O'Hare to Clark/Lake station downtown. Cost $1.50 per person.
At Clark/Lake station go upstairs from the platform but do not exit the CTA system. Go all the way upstairs to take the free transfer to the Brown line.
Take the Brown line NORTH (faces west at Clark/Lake station). The sign will say "to Kimball".
Take the Brown line one stop to Merchandise Mart station (located at Kinzie & Wells).
Orleans is approx. 1 block west of Wells St. The hotel is on the west side of Merchandise Mart.

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I'd go out for Gino's pizza.
You can also go to the Goose Island brewery.
I second the architectural boat tour.
Art Museum on Michigan Ave.
Go to the Billygoat Tavern for Cheeseboiger cheeseboiger cheeseboiger. No coke, pepsi!
Check out Oak Street Beach. grrrrrrrrr!

Steve Zatkoff

Stunt Coordinator
Don't forget Chinatown, which is a five minute ride south on the Redline from the Loop.

If you are into Antiquing(sp?), take a ride to the Belmont/Damen area or Lincoln/Irving Park area.

Rush and Division is good if you want to get stupid drunk and see lots of freaks.

Musicbox Theater on Southport for your more Art oriented films. Also lot's of good restaurants and bars in this area.

If you like German food/beer, try Lincoln Square.

Al's beef is good. I think the best beef and gyros can be found at Zippy's in the NW Suburbs.

Murphy's on Belmont has great Chicago Style Dogs.

I'm partial to Gino's east on Superior.

Bucktown for the Bohemian in you.

Andersonville for the Swede in you.

The Chicago Botanical Gardens.

Have fun.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Al's beef is good. I think the best beef and gyros can be found at Zippy's in the NW Suburbs.
Actually Mr. Beef on Orleans has the top beef sandwich.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
And the one from Portillo's is a worthy runner-up. :)

Dan Galyen

Agent
Make sure you visit the "Cubby Bear" before and after the game. It is an experience in and of itself.

Rush and Division is a blast. If you are Irish, a good pub inside the Hilton and Towers downtown called Kitty O'Sheas is excellent for food, great beer, and hot ladies on "business trips".

For excellent quisine, Mike Ditka's restaurant is outstanding. Smith and Wollensky's for great steak...

Damn, I'm hungry now...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks