What's new

Pre-Order Flying Leathernecks (1951) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
John Wayne's first AA nomination for Best Actor was for "Sands of Iwo Jima". It starts playing on HBO Max this Thursday, when the calendar turns to October. You should watch it and let me know how you like it.

On my calendar. I shall return!

I have to say, I am liking HBOMAX for the movies they are rotating in and out. I don't pay for it which is even better. Comes with my HBO subscription.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I had to chuckle at one scene, though. Wayne gives his kid a Japanese bayonet as a souvenir and then Mom and Dad leave the room with him still playing with it. Only in a 50s era movie!

Ha ha - I mentioned that in my review! :D

The other funny part of that scene: when Kirby returns home, his wife's supposed to be about to go to bed, but she sports immaculate hair and full makeup! :lol:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ha ha - I mentioned that in my review! :D

The other funny part of that scene: when Kirby returns home, his wife's supposed to be about to go to bed, but she sports immaculate hair and full makeup! :lol:

Colin, post a link to your review. I would love to read it. Thanks

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Colin, post a link to your review. I would love to read it. Thanks

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Yes, really nice upgrade from the DVD. You can actually read the names of the pilots on the patches sewed into their flight gear!

One thing I did notice...there was a small edit done, which removed the sight of a US Marine’s burning body. It was one of a handful of stock WWII scenes inserted throughout the film. It’s was always a bit on the grisly side, so I guess that’s why WAC excised from this release. Still, surprised to not see it, as it was always a somewhat jarring scene in the film.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, really nice upgrade from the DVD. You can actually read the names of the pilots on the patches sewed into their flight gear!

One thing I did notice...there was a small edit done, which removed the sight of a US Marine’s burning body. It was one of a handful of stock WWII scenes inserted throughout the film. It’s was always a bit on the grisly side, so I guess that’s why WAC excised from this release. Still, surprised to not see it, as it was always a somewhat jarring scene in the film.
I don't remember that particular scene, where should it have been inserted?

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I don't remember that particular scene, where should it have been inserted?

Towards the end of the film. It’s the last air-to-ground strike that the Marine pilots make. After the attack is over, there are numerous stock shots from WWII. One of the last shots was a slumped over marine, his body still smoldering. As I say, it’s only for a couple of seconds, and it’s a grisly sight. Unless I’m wrong, WAC removed it for the BD release. I didn’t see it on today’s viewing. But perhaps I missed it

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Not saying you are wrong, but it is not like Warner (and especially the Warner Archive Group) to censor any of their content. Might it have been another film you’re thinking of or your memory playing tricks?

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Not saying you are wrong, but it is not like Warner (and especially the Warner Archive Group) to censor any of their content. Might it have been another film you’re thinking of or your memory playing tricks?

perhaps...I still own the DVD. Tomorrow I’ll run both versions thru at that scene, and report back. I hope I’m wrong, because as you say, it’s not like WAC to remove or edit any of their films.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Okay, I just watched the scene on DVD, and I am happy to say was wrong about WAC editing out that scene. I wonder what film I was thinking of with that stock footage...perhaps Sands Of Iwo Jima

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks