Fly Away Home SE

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad Hendrickson, Aug 8, 2001.

1. Chad Hendrickson

This was released yesterday. I haven't seen any reviews/previews for this one.
    Anybody see this on yet? How is it?
    ------------------

2. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
  3. Andy Kim

Andy Kim Second Unit

Its great! One of my favourites and it was well worth the wait. The previous one was barebones and Pan and Scan.
    It has 2 documentaries concerning the works of Lishman and his Operation Migration, one by Lishman himself. They seemed to have really gotten tons of cooperation with Lishman when they were making it. He flew a lot of the planes in the movie. The HBO piece is fluff though.
    The disc is packed though. I noticed a bit of dirt once on the screen but it was nothing that would keep you from enjoying the movie. It has 5.1 and 2.0 Surround sound, commentary (I listened to a bit of it and it sounded engaging), plus an isolated 5.1 score!
    Pick it up!

4. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Thanks for the info concerning this Special Edition. I was not aware that there was going to be an isolated soundtrack. This was a much sought after soundtrack, since Columbia or whoever failed to produce a soundtrack CD for this movie. For that alone, I have placed an order for this DVD.

5. Chad Hendrickson

I think there is even a second commentary with the composer Mark Isham. (Along with a commentary with the director Carroll Ballard and cinematographer Caleb Deschanel)
    ------------------

6. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

7. Andy Kim

Andy Kim Second Unit

I think the isolated 5.1 score is a combination of score and composer commentary...like what they did in the Matrix. I guess when there's no score, Isham will start talking. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

8. Andy Kim

Andy Kim Second Unit

Well, I just listened to a bit of the isolated score/commentary and there's more talking then I had hoped for. I was hoping that he would talk between music breaks but he comes on during the score to talk about the different themes he needed to make a so forth.
    I also listened to the commentary. Its alright. You pretty much get what you need to know.

9. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I finally got a chance to watch this last night. Beautiful new widescreen transfer that makes everything look even better than I remembered it, from the aerial scenes over a colorful autumn landscape to the foggy flight throught Baltimore. I haven't had a chance to listen to the commentaries yet, but the featurette on Bill Lishman was fascinating.

10. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Nice disc indeed, but I'm puzzled by an oddity in the soundtrack.
    I had the original LD, which had no 5.1 only PCM Dolby Surround, and the female vocal you hear during the opening scene and during Anna Paquin's solo flight was very 'upfront' and clear. On the new DVD, the vocal sounds recessed and distant, as if it hasn't been mixed into the centre channel properly. The film dialogue is fine though. Weird.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    "One does not simply walk into Mordor."
    Rob's Place