1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Flush mounting Focals

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron D Core, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Ron D Core

Ron D Core Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know of a good way to flush mount the Focal drivers with the semi square/circular mount? Making the shape wouldn't be too much of a problem, but the driver needs to sit in a circular whole, and the flanges have to sort overlap too much. Is my only option to make a .125 or .25" cover to go over the baffle to bring it up flush with the driver?

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

You must handmake a custom template, then use a template adapter to cut the recess for the mounting flange. The driver hole can be cut with any circle cutting attachment

3. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Thomas is correct. Make a template by hand, and if you make a mistake, start over -its not as serious as messing up a driver opening trying to route it freehand. I use two pieces of 1/4" Masonite glued together for template material.

4. Ron D Core

Ron D Core Stunt Coordinator

So when you say template, your talking about a guide for the bit bearing to run along? I've little experience with this stuff. I've been cutting all my holes with a jigsaw for the past 5 years.

5. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer