Flush mount speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by IanG, Aug 7, 2004.

1. IanG

IanG Auditioning

Hello,

I am moving into a house that has prewiring in a few rooms set up for ceiling speakers.

In going to several stores and talking to the sales guys some are advising the circular in-ceiling speakers and others tout the rectangular in-wall speakers for placement into the ceiling saying it makes no difference.

Right now I am trying to decide between Jamo, B&W and Boston Acoustic.

Should I only consider circular "ceiling" speakers or can I use rectangular "wall" speakers in the ceiling as well? Is it worth agonizing over or should I just get the speaker that sounds the best?

Thanks

Ian

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    It really doesn’t matter much from a functional standpoint, not as much as sound quality, at least. That said, I imagine you’ll find that the upper-end models are all rectangular. But if you’re not shopping in that realm, just go with what sounds best to you.

There are some other things go consider though, that might explain validate the differences between in-ceiling vs. in-walls. For instance, if the speaker is too heavy it may make the eventually sheetrock sag.

Also, some flush-mounts have tweeters that can be aimed. Depending on your installation situation, this may be a useful feature.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. IanG

IanG Auditioning

Thanks for the advice, neighbor[​IMG]

4. Greg Fullerton

Greg Fullerton Auditioning

Keep in mind that asthetically, you will more than likely put round speakers in the ceilings to match your round can lights, ceiling fans, sprinkler heads, etc. and the rectangular speakers in the walls to match your rectangular windows, doors, pictures, etc.

Also, trying to make a pair of rectangular speakers plumb with the walls is a pain in the butt when you are on a ladder and working over your head trying to install them in the ceiling.

Jamo's are nice, btw.