What's new

Flush mount speakers (1 Viewer)

IanG

Auditioning
Hello,

I am moving into a house that has prewiring in a few rooms set up for ceiling speakers.

In going to several stores and talking to the sales guys some are advising the circular in-ceiling speakers and others tout the rectangular in-wall speakers for placement into the ceiling saying it makes no difference.

Right now I am trying to decide between Jamo, B&W and Boston Acoustic.

Should I only consider circular "ceiling" speakers or can I use rectangular "wall" speakers in the ceiling as well? Is it worth agonizing over or should I just get the speaker that sounds the best?

Thanks

Ian

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It really doesn’t matter much from a functional standpoint, not as much as sound quality, at least. That said, I imagine you’ll find that the upper-end models are all rectangular. But if you’re not shopping in that realm, just go with what sounds best to you.

There are some other things go consider though, that might explain validate the differences between in-ceiling vs. in-walls. For instance, if the speaker is too heavy it may make the eventually sheetrock sag.

Also, some flush-mounts have tweeters that can be aimed. Depending on your installation situation, this may be a useful feature.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Greg Fullerton

Auditioning
Keep in mind that asthetically, you will more than likely put round speakers in the ceilings to match your round can lights, ceiling fans, sprinkler heads, etc. and the rectangular speakers in the walls to match your rectangular windows, doors, pictures, etc.

Also, trying to make a pair of rectangular speakers plumb with the walls is a pain in the butt when you are on a ladder and working over your head trying to install them in the ceiling.

Jamo's are nice, btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks