Flush mount RPTV in wall?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by seth_petry_john, Aug 28, 2004.

1. seth_petry_john

I close on my new house next month, and I'm already planning the HT in the basement. The previous owners did a nice job of finishing the basement, and in doing so they put up a new wall that hid the sump pump and such from view. This segments the basement into the finished section and a ~6 foot deep unfinished section. There is a door from the main basement into this unfinished area which is currently used as storage.

Unfortunately, the finished area isn't as large as I would like for my 57" Toshiba RPTV. I came up with the idea of cutting a huge hole in the new wall, and then pushing the TV through this hole. That would flush mount the screen with the wall, and I'd still be able to get around to the back of the TV via the existing door. This would net me about 2 more feet of viewing distance to the screen which would be perfect.

But before I cut this massive hole into my new finished basement, are there any "gotchas" I should be concerned with? Will being enclosed like this have a negative impact on the built-in speakers (which we use for casual viewing)?

Of course, flush mounting the TV then creates an issue as to where I put my B&W center channel. I've invested too much money in these speakers to replace them with in-wall speakers, so should I also cut-out a section in the wall to flush-mount the center channel? Same question as above: will being enclosed like this affect sound quality?

The other option I have is to only stick PART of the TV through the wall, leaving enough of a horizontal surface exposed to hold the center channel. Any thoughts on which would look best?

Thanks in advance,
    Seth

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Seth,

I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t “flush” your TV. Flush mounting is supposed to have a negative effect on speaker’s imaging qualities, but I can’t see where that would be an issue with the less-then-mid-fi speakers you find inside a TV. Besides, as you mentioned, you only use them for casual viewing anyway.

Regarding what to do with the B&W center speaker, you could always mount it to the wall with an Omnimount. Myself, I’d just build a shelf above the TV for it. Shouldn’t be a challenge for a guy with the skills to tackle a flush-mounted TV. [​IMG]

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. seth_petry_john

Hehe, I'm not the one doing the flush mounting. My brother in law does drywall work for a living, so I'm going to use my head for numbers to help them buy a house, and in exchange he's going to "lend me his hands" to fix up mine [​IMG]

I've seen some member's pics over at the AVS forum with flush mounted big screens, so I guess its been done before without major issues. I have decided, however, not to mount my speakers in the wall, for audio quality reasons. A shelf for the center channel it is.

Thanks for the reply!

Seth