"Fluffing" an auto-on Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Matt*B, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Matt*B

Matt*B Stunt Coordinator

Hey all,

I have a nice Cerwin Vega Subwoofer, and I really enjoy it - however I have one question about it. The power option on the sub are "off" and "auto on".

Since it is auto on, when it's turned on, the sub will nto kick in until there is a significant enough bass signal. Sometimes if the volume is low, or if the bass signal isnt strong enough, the sub won't kick on when it should.... there may be a 30 second delay.

I wanted to know if there was anything I could do to fluff the sub into active mode manually so that it will immediately pick up any bass

Thanks,

M
    ([email protected])

2. Matt*B

Matt*B Stunt Coordinator

Hey all,

I have a nice Cerwin Vega Subwoofer, and I really enjoy it - however I have one question about it. The power option on the sub are "off" and "auto on".

Since it is auto on, when it's turned on, the sub will nto kick in until there is a significant enough bass signal. Sometimes if the volume is low, or if the bass signal isnt strong enough, the sub won't kick on when it should.... there may be a 30 second delay.

I wanted to know if there was anything I could do to fluff the sub into active mode manually so that it will immediately pick up any bass

Thanks,

M
    ([email protected])

3. aaron campbell

aaron campbell Second Unit

Hey Matt, Are you using the lfe input to the sub? If so, you should be able to boost the signal on your receiver settings.

Aaron

4. aaron campbell

aaron campbell Second Unit

Hey Matt, Are you using the lfe input to the sub? If so, you should be able to boost the signal on your receiver settings.

Aaron

5. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Does your sub have left and right RCA inputs? If so, go to radio shack and buy a splitter so you can input the signal to both inputs.

6. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Does your sub have left and right RCA inputs? If so, go to radio shack and buy a splitter so you can input the signal to both inputs.

7. Matt*B

Matt*B Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys....

If by "lfe" you mean the RCA input, then yes, that's what I am using....Yea, I have the L and R inputs filled already as well. Boosting the amp sub volume and lowering the phsical sub volume makes sense and I'll give that a shot...

Thanks,

Matt

8. Matt*B

Matt*B Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys....

If by "lfe" you mean the RCA input, then yes, that's what I am using....Yea, I have the L and R inputs filled already as well. Boosting the amp sub volume and lowering the phsical sub volume makes sense and I'll give that a shot...

Thanks,

Matt

9. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

or you can just leave it always on..doesn't draw much current...that's what some of us here, do. In fact, the SVS guys recommended it to me when I had the same question a couple of years back

10. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

or you can just leave it always on..doesn't draw much current...that's what some of us here, do. In fact, the SVS guys recommended it to me when I had the same question a couple of years back

11. Matt*B

Matt*B Stunt Coordinator

Hello...

I thought about leaving it on. But i thought the sub would just go into dormant mode again when the sound was shut off. That is, once there is no sound for a bit, it will go back into sleep mode.... Or does leaving it on somehow keep it more ready for sound? I just want it to BE ON ALWAYS and be ready to punch as soon as the first bass line hits....

Matt

12. Matt*B

Matt*B Stunt Coordinator

Hello...

I thought about leaving it on. But i thought the sub would just go into dormant mode again when the sound was shut off. That is, once there is no sound for a bit, it will go back into sleep mode.... Or does leaving it on somehow keep it more ready for sound? I just want it to BE ON ALWAYS and be ready to punch as soon as the first bass line hits....

Matt

13. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

well, do you have the option to have it "always on" or not? if you do, then leaving it "always on" is the best option, barring some reason this not be feasible. "always on" is just that; always on. no "sleeping".

14. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

well, do you have the option to have it "always on" or not? if you do, then leaving it "always on" is the best option, barring some reason this not be feasible. "always on" is just that; always on. no "sleeping".

15. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

interesting use of the term "fluffing". and yes, i understand what it means [​IMG]

ag.

16. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

interesting use of the term "fluffing". and yes, i understand what it means [​IMG]

ag.

17. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

heh

[​IMG]

18. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

heh

[​IMG]

19. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    As was mentioned, turn the gain up in the receiver's sub level setting, and adjust it down on the sub to get your correct level. The higher output voltage from the receiver should turn it on correctly.

Your receiver's bass management settings are a factor as well. What crossover setting are you using? What are your speaker settings? Large or small? Is your sub set to LFE only?

20. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    As was mentioned, turn the gain up in the receiver's sub level setting, and adjust it down on the sub to get your correct level. The higher output voltage from the receiver should turn it on correctly.

Your receiver's bass management settings are a factor as well. What crossover setting are you using? What are your speaker settings? Large or small? Is your sub set to LFE only?