What's new

FLUANCE (1 Viewer)

HongHuynh

Agent
SVS's specs are not completely off like Fluance's specs.

I realize you have a set and are probably trying to fool yourself into thinking that it's great so you don't feel bad about having such poor sounding speakers so I won't comment on it for your sake. But seriously, you'd get the same kind of sound or better from a comparably priced HTIB so how is it better? Cause you have towers that sound really muddy? Cause you have a center channel that you have to strain to hear the dialog? Listen to a good budget set (ie. Paradigm or Wharfedale) just to humor me. Then again, better not. You'll want to upgrade due to the realization that you have craptastic speakers.

Anyone else that's considering Fluance, I'll give some really good advice....do NOT listen to Jimi C.

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
Your going to compare Fluance to SVS? You can't compare them to SVS, Rocket(av123), Axiom or any of the other big ID brands. One is specs, specs say a lot about a speaker and in this case they are off. Two are componants and construction quality. I gaurentee that when I get my set of Fluance to compare to SVS the componants won't even be in the same league. For Fluance speakers to weight as little as they do compared to other comparable speaker types means the construction quality just isn't there. They use 1/4"-1/2" LDF or MDF with no internal bracing compared to other ID brands that use at least 3/4"-1" MDF or HDF with internal bracing. As for a timeframe for a side by side comparison I couldn't tell you because at the moment my wife and I are looking for a house.

Not to speak for Jimi C, but I don't think he was comparing Fluance to SVS in terms of the quality they produce. His comparison was in terms of whether Fluance is a legitimate company like SVS is. Personally, I think they are. They have a consistent presence on the web, etc. Have been around for years, etc. They're clearly not a "white van" type company.

Do they make a product that comes anywhere near the high quality that SVS does? Not even close. But the price would seem to indicate a lesser quality, would it not?

Hey, if my kids wanted a 5.1 system for their room, or for their dorm room or frat house, I have no problem with Fluance. I wouldn't use Fluance as my final, end-all choice for my personal home theater.

Everyone should also realize that Fluance would seem to open up the beginnings of true home theater to individuals and families who will never be able to spend even $800 on speakers. They fill the bill for a certain segment of the market.

This is just my opinion, but I'm sticking to it. ;)

leafswillwin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
yeh i never thought of it like that. Its a company that lets anyone have a decent hometheatre when they might have thought they could never afford one.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I have a set of the Fluance SX-HTB's. they are amazing for the price. They sound good. Ive had them for about 2 years now I think. Since I bought them, my cousin came to take a listen, sure enough, he purchased them also. my best friend needed to upgrade his speakers but didnt want to go overboard. he just wanted a decent matched set of 5.1's. he bought the lower black set. I forget the model #. but I helped him calibrate his levels using an SPL meter for his Denon w/ them. They sounded really good (for the price) too.
Obviously, I'm not saying that Fluance is going to blow away the competition, but at that price point, they certainly hold off the want I have to upgrade them. I'm actually trying to get my parents to upgrade their speakers to the SX-HTB's, just because I threw together a 5.1 setup for them and its fairly mis-matched. I wish Fluance made a smaller bookshelf system I could use in my bedroom. They don't, so instead I'm gonna get the SVS SBS-01's (SVS is a company I'll probably always do business with)

Jimi C

Screenwriter

I'm not trying to fool myself, They do not sound muddy and I certainly do not have to strain to hear dialog. If they did, I would have returned them. You bought a 5 speaker set for $200. Im talking about a $300 pair of towers that im sure you never heard.

I dont need to prove shit to you. There is no HTiB reasonably priced that can touch my system.

Why should people listen to you over me? Youve given no first hand accounts on the systems listed. All I ever read around here is dont buy based on specs, but that is exactly what you are preaching right now.

Chris: Exactly the point I was trying to make.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Nor mine. In fact I find your comments fairly insulting as a Fluance owner. I dont own Fluance to brag about or throw their name around. I dont quote their specs to people. But on a budget, these speakers are probably one of the few sets that are not disappointing. It's been said in other threads about Fluance before, They are great for their price range. Let me put it this way.

I love BMW. but I'm on a budget, so I bought a new Hyundai to tie me over. It has everything I want/need for now and I didn't go overboard. I can always get a more expensive car in the future. But if someone tells me they are on a budget and need a new car, I will certainly recommend the new Hyundai's based on my experiences. It should suit most people looking to buy a car on a budget range of $12,000-$23,000. But I certainly don't need another BMW owner giving me shit about purchasing a Hyundai or recommending one.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
"Nor mine. In fact I find your comments fairly insulting as a Fluance owner"

I found them extremely insulting. I cant have an subjective opinion about my speakers? They are crap because you said they are? Its bullshit, and uncalled for.

HongHuynh

Agent
Feel insulted then...it's better than leading other people into buying speakers that really are NO good. No set can beat your set for the price? You're kidding right? There's an Energy Act6 set for $500 CDN that would outperform your set in every way.

I understand people are on a budget but seriously, you CAN do a lot better....and yes, for the price.

leafswillwin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John

um those are tiny satellites. fluance are all loudspeakers which outperform satellites. they create much more bass and sound better so dont compare it with those. they are not the same

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Now you just being rediculous. I'm willing to bet youve never actually listened to any of the speakers we are discussing.

I never once used the word "set", I said HtiB. I dont think the Take 5 fits into that catagory. I also dont think it can compete.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
My inlaws have the Energy set your refering to. They sound good. Better than the SX-HTB set. However, I dont know about the Fluance towers your talking about. and since I havent heard them to compare, I cannot comment.

leafswillwin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
i got a chance to actually listen to the fluance av-938 and personally thought they sounded very good. However, the side firing woofer isnt that good but i assume most people will have a seperete sub anyways. When the music was on tho, i thought the voices were very clear and was generally great sounding. these were at a friends place but i think i might get a pair. they are cheap so whatever, if the time comes and i want to get better ones then the fluance's would be fine additions for another tv set in the house.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
OK, no more bickering, please. It should be possible to discuss the pros and cons of any piece of HT equipment in a civil manner.

M.

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
It is quite possible that for some people they are not into audio as much as they are into video?
I have to say that over the last five years I've spent maybe $1200 on audio and six times that amount on video. The majority of my time with my theater is spent tweaking the picture.
I know there are better sound systems than my average sound system but I prefer a spectacular picture!
That's the hobby I choose to explore and I feel I'm not loosing out of the theater experience.

leafswillwin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John

same here video is alot more important than audio. I think it is a fact that lets say you spend money to upgrade ur video quality. that will be a much more noticeable upgrade than if u had spent the money on an audio upgrade.
i think most can agree to that.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I choose to mix the two. decent audio, decent picture, both are better in general than the average consumers a/v choices. picture quality has just been getting better and better as of late. Audio (the technology behind it) for the most part, stays the same. So only every 5-6 years I'll upgrade displays. but my audio, only needs minor tweaks and component upgrades to stay worthy.

leafswillwin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
like i said i think that is very true. im interested in what others think? if you had the choice what would you upgrade, video or audio, assuming both are behind in terms of being state of the art. so??????

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks