What's new

FLUANCE (1 Viewer)

leafswillwin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
i think there is a member on this site who sells fluance, Azeem was his name i think. Does this guy still post?

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
I've had a set of SX-HTB for almost four years now. They're excellent theater speakers for the price.
I haven't found a reason yet to think of replacing them.
I've changed my projector, changed pieces on my computer added a HD-DVD player and they still, I feel do an admiral job.
I've matched them with a Harman Kardon receiver to get a warm sound in a 450' square foot basement theater. They have a clean undistorted sound and the mains are the stongest part of that package giving off a full sound.
The only weakness I've found is that the center speaker is directional. I made a podium for it and angled it directly to my listening height.

leafswillwin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John

really? well after i read a post a couple of days ago about fluance i have started to look at some of their speakers. the specs seem respectable and the price is amazing. I just wasnt sure if i would end up getting screwed over. But you say you have had them for 4 years? i think i might buy just one speaker from them to test it myself.

leafswillwin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
those are some really good reviews. However, do you think they could be fake? ie. written by fluance employees/distributers??

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
I would be weary of these. I too started looking at Internet Direct companies a number of years ago. After doing much research I found that a lot of these "too good to be true" speaker companies were borderline "white van speaker scams", there is an ionformative thread around here somewhere on this subject. The specs are really not that good when compared to legit speaker companies plus when you price out what half way decnt componants cost, decent MDF or HDF then labor costs these speakers look more and more fishy by the second. The reviews get even fishier on these sites because they could very well be posted by a employee. These kind of speakers with varying names are everywhere from Overstock.com to eBay. Not worth a second look IMO.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
There are many excellent internet direct brands. Ascend, AV123, Swan, Aperion, SVS, etc. But I'm sure, just like everything else, that there are many others that should be avoided. I don't know anything about Fluance except what I've read here over the years but they've been around for quite awhile so I wouldn't put them in the "scam" category. Just don't expect more than a $269 speaker package is capable of.

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
Sorry, I seemed to have gotten messed up there trying to edit a typo.
The second to last review from eccoustics was mine. So there's one review that I can vouch for.
You can never audition those speakers that's why they and other online speakers can be had for a good price. You can only judge them by word of mouth or searching theater forums.
There was also the "Ventriloquist" from HSU
http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi..._vt12_stf1.htm
or home theater direct http://www.htd.com/cabinet-speakers/level-two-speakers
At the time I had a $1000 Canadian and I was disapointed in what I was hearing in local retail outlets for $1000 that's why I decided to research online speakers.
I bought that set of speakers and added the sub later.
Fluance were very professional and the speakers were well packed. I remember the UPS guy struggling up my stairway to deliver them.

leafswillwin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
how do they sound to you, am really interested in what you think of the sub too. did u buy the fluance sub? also the bi-pole surrounds seem sweet does anyone have experience with them?

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
They sound much better than the price you pay. They can't be compared to Paradigm speakers but for watching films they work well. Listening to music they sound good with a warm receiver, but not as good as a set of $2000 speakers do. Still, they sound better than any HTIB set of speakers you'll find.
The mains are the best part of that package, have a full clear undistorted sound and the center speaker as I said before is directional.
I don't know anything about the sub. At the time Fluance didn't offer the sub. I went with a Dayton down firing sub from partsexpress. Since then, it's been discontinued. and they've made it a front firing sub in 10" or 12"
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=300-635
The bi-pole surrounds you'll have to ask Fluance if they match with the SX-HTB set. I thought the SX-6 surrounds matched the SX-HTB set.

HongHuynh

Agent
For my first speaker set, I bought the AV-HTB. As a first set, they were decent. For movie watching, it was admirable in performance. The center channel is not good though and the upgraded center is not much better. If you do any music listening, these speakers are not for you. For music, compared to any well known brand (ie. Paradigm Mini Monitors), these speakers are outclassed (but I guess that's expected given the price). Based on personal experience, you will more than likely upgrade the set so I would personally spend more and get something that performs well with music as well as hometheater. That will save you more money in the long run. As a reference, I went from the Fluance to the Mini Monitors to Sonus Faber Concertinos.

One thing to note too is the Fluance speakers sensitivity ratings are a lot lower than they advertise. Although at 8 ohms, they sound strained with a consumer level receiver. You will need something with a bit of power to push those speakers properly.

Internet brands are hard to judge. There was a lot of buzz regarding Fluance which is why I bought them before. Had I known how they sounded, I wouldn't have purchased them. There are other brands that get a lot of good reviews but how trust worthy are those reviews? Save yourself some headache and go audition speakers in a B&M store.

My $0.02.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
"The specs are really not that good when compared to legit speaker companies."

I kind of resent that comment. You cannot compare these to "white van" speakers. They dont have an outrageous fake msrp, they dont claim these speakers are worth $5,000 a pair. They are what they are. Inexpensive speakers, and good ones at that. I have purchased 2 other pairs of speakers since I bought my SV-10 towers, and they sv-10's still reign supreme.

Granted I didnt buy anything you would call high end, but the other cheap speakers Ive purchased dont hold a candle to the SV-10's. (Polk R50's, and the Insignia Best Buy bookshelfs)

These speakers are more than worth the asking price, and the fact that they showed up at my door is enough for me to consider them "legit".

I have no regrets, and I seriously doubt that even today I could do any better for $300 a pair.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
How is it true? What is it that makes fluance not a "legit' speaker company?

I dont see how they are any less "legit" than a brand like SVS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks