fluance

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by mark$!, Feb 5, 2004.

1. mark$!

mark$! Auditioning

i would just like to get some feed back on the sx-htb system from fluance from those who own it

2. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I got the AV-HTB system and I'm happy with it. I would say, the towers are very good, the surrounds are OK, and the center is OK. Good budget speakers. There's a few of us floating around. It was $250ish shipped.

Heard a set of Paradigms bookshelves a few weeks back at $299 and they were much better. But that was $299 a piece. [​IMG]

Run a search for Fluance and you will find a few threads floating around on them.

3. Mike Littrell

I'm going for either the av or sx as well, based on info I gleaned here.
    [​IMG]

4. Doug Clark

Doug Clark Extra

Just purchased the AV-HTB about two weeks ago as well. No complaints AT ALL for the $$$. I am very pleased with my purchase.

Only concern is the center channel. Hardcore sustained "rumble" bass (such as the liftoff on Apollo 13, or the Toy Story 2 THX intro cow stampede) gives it fits. At high volumes (not sure where in relation to reference, as I have yet to calibrate) the center begins emitting that deadly knocking noise from within.

I plan to remedy this with the SVS 20-39PCi... and most threads regarding the Fluance package have recommended the same thing (buy a sub and you're set).

Hope that helped.

5. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Sounds like you need to set your crossover on your receiver - you shouldn't be pumping bass through the center channel [​IMG]

6. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

I agree. Get that SVS soon and set all of those speakers to Small, then cross them over at 80Hz. For now, you can probably leave your front left/right set to Large, but the rest should be set to small.

7. Doug Clark

Doug Clark Extra

Thanks much for the tip, gentlemen.

I knew to set all speakers to SMALL when the sub was added, but I never thought to set the center channel to that now. Will do immediately. I'm guessing I should do this to the surrounds, also?

As far as the frequency crossover, though, I believe my receiver (a Yammie HTR-5660) has a fixed setting of 90hz on SMALL. This won't make much of a difference, I hope.

Thanks again. [​IMG]

8. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Yes it will make a difference going from full range in the Center and surrounds to small.
    Leave the main towers set to large and sub off.
    Hopefully you have not damaged the Center from the continued bottoming of the midwoofers. Thats the nasty popping sound you speak of, not good, not good at all.

All bass below the 90Hz small crossover setting from the Center and surrounds will now go to the mains along with the LFE channel. Once you do get a sub you'll then turn the LFE channel back on to route the LFE to the sub along with the mains bass that you will now set to small.

Definitely get a calabration disc as soo as you can afford it. This is a very sefull tool that has many other things on it aside from just proper speaker calibration.

Till then use the receivers built in test tones and an SPL meter. You will be shocked at how much better things will sound once your system and speaks are set up and calibrated properly...

9. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

10. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot

Dave
    I purchased the SX-HTB set about a month ago. I plugged them into my HK AVR-325. There sound is amazing in my 11x18x8 foot room. They sound very clear. During the scene in Private Ryan where the Americans are looking for Ryan inside France and it is raining, I actually thought it was raining outside. The speakers make a very natural sound.

I recently added the AV-BP2 surounds to my system and moved the original surrounds to the back to make 7.1. Once again I'm happy with the result. Still has a natural sound that seems to envelope the entire room.

I feel like I got $1000+ value for less than $400.

BTW - I also have an old Velodyne CT-80 sub with the Fluance speakers. I plan to replace it with the Fluance 200 watt sub as soon as I can.