What's new

Fluance users: upgrade advice needed (1 Viewer)

Kean-Hock Yeap

Stunt Coordinator
I have been using the SX-HTB set up happily for the past year. Lately I have been pondering the possibility of adding a sub to the set up. Am wondering which sub you guys would recommend to go with the SX-HTB?

Also, has anyone upgraded the center speaker in SX-HTB to the AV-SC? Is that a worthwhile upgrade?

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
if cost is an extreme issue, do as i did and get the Parts Express 125$ sub....great deal for the $$$
I have also asked about upgrading the center before, I believe, w/ not much success..I have the SX-HTB's as well, & am seriously thinking of upgrading the center, using it in center back for 6.1, & maybe upgrading the surrounds, but sadly it's low on my strict-budget "prioriyt list", hehe

Kean-Hock Yeap

Stunt Coordinator
Wee. . . not too many responses I see. What happened to the plentiful Fluance supporters who used to post here?

Kevin, I did browse through HSU and SVS sub line-ups, and can't help but thiking if they are overkill for for SX-HTB. . . what's your thought?

Anthony, that's what I have in mind too -- getting the AV-SC and relocate the current center to the back. How do you like the Dayton sub? Is it boomy? I guess I am not looking to shake my apt (wife hates that as a matter of fact), but rather looking to get a "fuller sound range" when watching DVDs and listening to music.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Dayton is a great sub. Goes down to 25 hz and is not boomy at all. It would go well with your Fluance.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
I think I will stick with the 50. I like the feature of PL IIX but other than that, I am not sure it would be worth it for me.

Although, when they come out with a 7.1 version with DLIIX, then I will jump!

So how do you like the Fluance? I was looking for another speaker set-up for the basement. The price is great. How do they sound when pushed with some real power?

kevin tate

Stunt Coordinator
I had an Atlantic T70PBM 10" sealed sub. It was very good sub for music, but not enough power for movies in my large room, over 6000 cubic ft. I now have the Hsu VTF3 MKII in the corner of the room. It's very powerful and can shake the walls at 1/4 of the volume. I have not heard anything bad about the Dayton, only good things. If you're not looking to shake the walls, A Dayton or a Hsu STF1 would be more than dequate.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
My Dayton wil shake the walls in a very large area. The only time it was stressed was when watching Star Wars Episode II. Some of the ships flying by really taxed the sub. It did not distort but it was being pushed as hard as I was comfortable with. I had to keep the sub on "min" on my XR50. It has performed well with master and Commander and several other bass heavy movies. This was the only time i was thinking i needed something bigger. The Dayton is still a fantastic sub.

I think when I get the basement HT going, I am going to build a sonotube.

Kean-Hock Yeap

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like I will have to give the Dayton sub a try. . .

Dorian -- I ended up upgrading my Sherwood receiver to Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K. I returned both the Onkyo TSX-502 as well as HK AVR-230. I liked the sound of AVR-230 quite a bit when playing music, but the Pioneer offers a lot more features (THX, DPL IIx, auto-calibration, learning remote control, etc.) and the positioning is a lot better in movies than the HK. I didn't get a chance to try out the Panny XR-50 because my local Circuit City has discontinued them and I am a little too reluctant to order it online just to try out -- don't want the hassle of shipping back in case I don't like it. In any case, the Pioneer is definitely a significant improvement than my previous Sherwood both in terms of movie and music playback.

As far as Fluance goes, my novice ears like them quite a bit. I haven't turned them on very loudly though because of wife factor. ;) But I suspect you will want a sub if you want to crank them up for your basement. You should definitely give Fluance a try -- the whole SX-HTB only costs you roughly as much as your XR-50 :).

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
If the Pio 1014 came out 6 months ago i would have been all over it. it is a great value. I owned for 3 months the Pioneer Elite VSX-41 which i paid $400 for. Not even close when you compare the 2.

The Dayton is a great sub. I also may have to check out the Fluances.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

I crank mine every week with the latest action flick (off my HK AVR-325). They handle the power with no problems, no distortion.

I have an old Velodyne CT-80 for my sub and it is the weakest part of my setup.

Does anyone have the specs on the Fluance DB150 or DB200? For some reason they are not publishing them. I've heard that they do include them with the manual.

Kean-Hock Yeap

Stunt Coordinator
Hey David, say if I can only upgrade 1 item at this time, what do you think would have the bigger sound impact on SX-HTB: a sub or AV-SC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks