Fluance SX-HTB are in.

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by marc_manny, Jun 3, 2004.

1. marc_manny

marc_manny Stunt Coordinator

I just got mine yesterday. Hooked it all up and realized that 50' of speaker cable does not go that far. My left surround is about 6 feet away from were it should be, and will remain there until I get to home depot.

Let me first start by saying these are a beautiful looking set of speakers. They seems solidly built and they were well packaged, not a single scratch anywhere.

Now for the listening test. I am not an audiophile, plus my years as a tanker in the military has taken its toll on my hearing. With that said, I think thye sound great. I know there is a break in period for these speakers (10 hours), but even so they just sound great. I watched saving private ryan in DTS and it was a whole new experience. It truly made it more dramatic when the sound cut out during Tom Hank's thinking scene (i.e. when he is looking around during fire fights).

I don't have any meters/testers nor do I care to get any, but I am thoroughly pleased with my purchase. I would recommend this set of speakers to anyone. I also believe they are now in stock and will ship next day or something.

receiver: pioneer d912k

Marc

2. HongHuynh

HongHuynh Agent

Get the upgraded center cause the one that comes in the set is weak. You'll notice a huge difference with the bigger center. It'll give you clearer sound and it'll keep up nicely with the mains.

3. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

Yeah, I just posted the other day in a different thread that mine came in too, and Im very happy with them, but I think I'd like to upgrade the center. The only problem with that is that it wont match the rest of the set (aestheticly speaking). I think Im gonna contact Fluance and ask about the other center channel. does anyone know about the other speakers (fronts and rears) in that line as far as how they stand up to the SX-HTB's?

4. Anthony*B

Anthony*B Stunt Coordinator

upgraded center? which one is it? I would REALLY like to upgrade as well...anyone out there actually done this? worth it? what about upgrading the rear channels (maybe even moving to 6.1)? what are the recommended speakers to match the SX-HTB set? anyone?

5. Brad_See

Brad_See Stunt Coordinator

I don't know that it's voice-matched but I believe that Fluance recommends the AV-SC center channel as an upgrade.

brad cook

6. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

I just called Fluance and asked about upgrading my center to see what they would say. He said that the AV-SC is a better center channel and if I wanted to upgrade it, Id have to order it, and use the current SX-HTB center as a possible rear center for 6.1. either that or let it collect dust in a closet. which kind of sucks, cause I have no use for 6.1 in my current setup nor the room for the rear channel. I dont regret getting the setup, but maybe I should have ordered all the AV series seperately, it would end up costing the same as buying the SX and upgrading the center, and if the AV center is better quality then the rest of the AV speakers should be too right? if that's the case I might sell my set to a friend and order the better stuff. can anyone clearify that for me?

7. Sheldon-m

Sheldon-m Stunt Coordinator

THATS WHAT I DID. THE AV-SC IS A VERY GOOD CENTER. I BOUGHT THEM ALL. THE AV-SC, AV-F5, AV-BP2. FOR 6.1 SET UP. WHEN I GOT THESE SPEAKERS NO ONE HAVE EVEN HEARD OF THEM. THEY ARE A STEAL. VERY GOOD QUALITY. THE CENTER IS VERY CLEAR AND SMOOTH. PEOPLE ALWAY THINK THEY ARE WORTH A MORE THAN I HAD BOUGHT THEM. WHEN I TELL PEOPLE THE PRICE THEY ALMOST DIE. I HAVE FRIEND THAT BUY HI-END GEAR LIKE THE B&W'S.
    MY NEXT PURCHASE I WANT IS THE B&W 602(FOR MUSIC) THESE HAVE MADE HOLD OFF FOR A GOOD YEAR NOW. FLAUNCE IS A GOOD COMPANY.[​IMG]

8. Brad_See

Jean,

From what I've understood from mine and others' correspondence with Fluance the AV-SC isn't voice-matched to any of their AV series speakers but it is their best center channel. I may be wrong in my understanding of that. However, the new center channel is going to be in the "SV" series and I'm thinking it's also going to be a step up in quality from the AV-SC. I was picturing those sweet looking SV bookshelf speakers as fronts and the dipoles as rears along with the new SV. I wasn't certain though if the new SV CC is going to voicematch to the SV bookshelves or the SV tower speakers so I sent the following email to ask them:

"Will the upcoming SV center channel be voice-matched to the SV-10 speakers or the SV-6 speakers? Thanks."

They wrote back and said:

"Yes it will."

[​IMG]

Anyway...I don't know if you're interested in all that but I think the relevant part is that the AV-SC is not voice-matched to the other AV speakers, which doesn't mean that setup wouldn't sound good with some tweaking. Hope something in this message was informational. [​IMG]

brad cook

Edit: After all that I went with the BIC America setup anyway... [​IMG]

9. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

Thanks for the info. I think, since I already have the SX-HTB setup, I'm just gonna hold off until after the new center channel is developed and for sale.

10. marc_manny

I honestly can't complain about the SX-HTB. I bought it for the price to performance everyone was talking about. It doesn't make much sense to me that they didn't voice match all 5 speakers, but what do I know.

Upgarding the center channel in the future would be an option because I could use the old center for the rear channel and I beleive it is voice matched to the surrounds. We will see what they come out with for a new center. Since it is not voiced matched now to my mains it will not matter in the future.

This may also be the time I start to make my own speakers.

I know this has nothing to do about how they sound, but I must admit they are the nicest looking speakers I have seen.

11. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

The center channel that comes with the SX-HTB is definitely very, very weak. I don't understand why Fluance would throw that in the mix with that package! I also think the surrounds are a little weak, and also that they shouldn't call the front speakers "towers" but rather "tall bookshelves", because acoustically they sound more like bookshelves than towers.

I'm not trying to start a flame war by saying the Fluance SX-HTB package is not very good, in fact, I think its a very good package for the price, but overall they're not very good speakers, because you get what you pay for.

A friend of mine recently received his order of the SX-HTB package and we've been playing with them for the last couple of weeks, trying to make them sound good. We both have sets of JBL Studio Series II speakers (I have towers), so our standards are a little high. The Fluance SX-HTB sound really bad with his H/K AVR230. They sound decent, bordering on good, mated with my Yamaha RX-V2400 receiver, but only after we bi-wired the fronts and ran the Yamaha's Parametric Equalization.

For $500 CDN, the Fluance can't be beat, but as with everything else, if you want better sound you have to spend more money. We listened to a set of Athena Audition Series speakers (AS-F1 towers, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surround bookshelves) yesterday, and for $300 CDN more than the Fluance, I think they sound much better and are a much better value than the Fluance (at least, here in Canada).

http://66.46.69.23/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=11
    My DVD Collection

12. marc_manny

I have to disagree with one statement. You do not get what you pay for. I paid $259.00 USD, and I honeslty do not think I will find a better set of speaker in that price range. I beleive I got more then what I paid for. I know these are low end, so I bought them knowing that.

Marc

13. Brad_See

Same thing with BIC America. My $99 DV62CLRs sounds awesome!

brad cook

14. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

marc, that's exactly my point and that's what I said in my previous post: for the price, the Fluance are a good value, but if you want good speakers you have to spend a bit more. The Fluance are not great speakers, and I'd go as far as to say they're very weak performers. I was recommending the Athena Audition Series speakers which can be had for $250-300 CDN more than the Fluance package and sound much better. You get what you pay for.

http://66.46.69.23/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=14
    My DVD Collection

15. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

Its been a week since I got the Fluance set and already I'm thinking of upgrading again. I have an addiction, and I need help. is there a support group I can attend? [​IMG]

I'm still happy with what I have, cause If I'm gonna spend a grand on speakers, I'm gonna go all out and spend a lot more than that. these speakers will get me by until I can afford, and feel I need, professional quality speakers. and that wont be until I own a house, and build a dedicated theater room. So until then, unless I find an even better deal than the Fluance, I'm very satisfied with what I have. Plus I'm sure that once I upgrade my reciever from the cheap Sony to a Denon 3803 or 3805, These speakers will sound a lot cleaner, and crisp. (can anyone confirm this?)

16. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot
    Supporter

Dave

I upgraded the side channels with the AV-BP2's and moved the originals to the rear for 7.1. All 7 speakers work well together.

17. Vincent M

Vincent M Extra

Quick question: Should I let the SX-HTB speakers break in before attempting to calibrate them? Does it even matter?

18. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

nah

19. Vincent M

Vincent M Extra

Cool, thanks.

20. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

Question about the mains in the SX-HTB's

in the rear of the mains there are 4 terminal connections, they seem to be connected by a bracket. Should I wire in a set of extra wires to distribute the sound better? does it matter?