Fluance SX-HTB, 4 Paradigm Atoms + CC-170, JBL NSP-1II?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by GraysonAng, Feb 1, 2004.

1. GraysonAng

GraysonAng Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I currently have a Harmon Kardon AVR-125 receiver and a Hsu Research STF-2 sub.

Now I'd like to spend around $300 for 5 home theater speakers.

I was considering the following:
    Fluance SX-HTB ($260)
    JBL NSP-1II ($205)
    4 Paradigm Atoms ($200 on ebay) plus Paradigm CC-170 ($125) or CC-150.

Would the large mains on the SX-HTB make that a better selection?

Any other suggestions? I'm leaning towards the SX-HTB.

Thanks,
    Grayson

2. TosH

TosH Agent

You already have a very capable sub, so you won't have to worry about lack of bass without floorstanders. If it were my money I wouldn't hesitate to choose the Paradigm setup over the other two choices.

3. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

Paradigm Atoms are outstanding speakers. They are easily one of the best speakers out there for the money. You get MUCH more than you pay for. I've also heard good things about Fluance speakers too...$199 for two floorstanders, a center and two surrounds...you can't go wrong. LOL.
    I'd be willing to bet that those Atoms will sound better for home theater though.

4. GraysonAng

Would it be better to get Titans for mains and Micros for surround, or 4 Atoms?

5. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

I'd just use 4 Atoms for mains and surrounds. The Titans probably dig a liiiiiiittle deeper, but the Atoms will be better matched. If you are doing mostly HT, the Atoms are matched PERFECTLY with the CC-170. The Titans use a 3/4 tweeter, but the midrange driver is 6.5 inches whereas the 170 and Atoms both use 5.5 inch drivers. Not sure if that would make a HUGE difference, but I think it's better just to match up the speakers (ahem...Evan M.).

For music, you'll need at LEAST an Esprit or Phantom to get those low mids that the subs just don't reproduce well and the little speakers just don't go down to.

For the money though, the Atom is one of the best speakers out there.

6. Jonathan Lofgren

Jonathan Lofgren Stunt Coordinator

I'd definitely go with the Atoms. I've heard them and they are really nice speakers. I'd also recommend 4 atoms instead of 2 Titans and 2 micros. That way you'll have a more continuous sound with your surrounds. Also, the Titans main advantage over the Atoms is more bass, and you've got that covered. Those are all well-regarded choices and I compliment your research. I wish you well in your search for speakers.

7. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I tell ya....for the money those Fluance are pretty hard to pass up. Especialy since you already have a nice sub. The Atoms are great so it is a tough call. I wonder what Fluance's return policy is. It may be worth a shot.

Cabreau, just heard back from Boston....the guy said personaly he would stay with the 920(the big one). I guess it is fine to go that way. I still want to ask him if he is positive about the whole timbre matching thing.

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The Atoms are better than the NSP1. I'd go with all Titans rather than Atoms if you can afford it, and the Micros should not really even be considered. With a 100Hz x-over, the Atoms did not cover well enough in the lower midrange to be convincing for music for me (as surrounds), so I swapped them out for Titans and was happier. The Titans didn't last long as mains either, they got swapped for Minis, then 5s.

Fluance has a NO return policy, AFAIK.

9. WilliamMc

WilliamMc Stunt Coordinator

"Fluance has a NO return policy, AFAIK. "

I believe Fluance does have a 7 day return policy.

I've spent the last few weeks researching speakers in this price range for a second computer room setup. After some listening and review reading, I keeped coming back to the sx-htb set. If the reviews are honest, they really seem to be a no brainer. I hope the pics on the fluance site are accurate, as they seem to be a beautiful set of speakers. Mine should arrive tommorow morning, and the curiosity is killing me!

10. Jonathan Lofgren

Jonathan Lofgren Stunt Coordinator

Sorry, double post.

11. GraysonAng

Some other sets I'm considering are the Wharfedale Diamond 8s and the Athena AS-B1 or AS-B2 plus AS-C1 center.

Anyone know how these would compare? I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with either the 4 Paradigm Atoms plus center, the Fluance SX-HTB, or the Wharfedale or Athena.

The opinions are helping,..keep them coming!

Thanks,
    Grayson

12. HienD

HienD Stunt Coordinator

I think the diamonds 8 are a wonderful speaker for it's price. Very smooth sounding and clean vocals. I have a pair of 8.2s and a diamond center. Still not sure if I should get the 8.4s as mains or 8.1s as rears later on. I compared 8.4s to the much more expensive Evo 40 speaker and they faired pretty well against them. I prefered them to the Athena's. Keep in mind that these speakers are on the warm side with slight roll off of the higher frequencies. So if you like a bright sounding speaker, these aren't for you.

One question for yah, how do you like your sub? I'm gonna be upgrading my sub soon and was wondering how you like the Hsu sub. I'm thinking about a SVS 25-31PCi or a Hsu STF-2.

13. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Contact HSU and see if they will give you the $100 discount on the Ventriloquist system ($211 vs $311 delivered) as you already own the STF-2.

14. Mike^C

Mike^C Stunt Coordinator

Mike
    I'd have to go with the above guys and go for the Atoms. Thats a great price. I got my Monitor 9's off Ebay for about $250 off a new set though they're the V2s and not the newer V3s.

15. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Can I chime in for the Atoms as well, I have 4 and they are awesome!