Fluance speakers.

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by cabreau, Jan 15, 2004.

1. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

Does anybody out there have Fluance speakers? I'm just trying to get some opinions on them. I was going to just go buy a cheap HTIB for my formal living room, but a friend suggested getting the Fluance home theater setup with a cheap 6.1 receiver instead for about the same price. I was amazed to find that two towers, a center, and two surrounds was $199.00 total (before shipping). How do they sound? I imagine they must be worth the money!!! LOL.

Also, John S., you have suggested the Onkyo TX-SR501 a few times. Still your suggestion for a cheap way out?

All I'll need after that is a sub...and I don't want to go spend $320 for another PDR-10, though it was worth the money to me. Is there a cheap solution for a sub? I've heard people suggest HSU's before. I've never checked on those. Should I just order the Fluance 10-inch sub for $199 also?

2. Sheldon-m

Sheldon-m Stunt Coordinator

I have the AV-F5, AV-SC, and three AV-BP2 for the 6.1 setup.
    they are great speaker. they sound great.They look great.
    I am very happy with them. I have them hooked to a onkyo 601
    w/ 12 ga wire. the setup cost me 500$ what a deal. i almost dropped 1500$$ for the same set up. i was going to get the Axiom m22 but i took a chance and it payed off.
    i think they are worth the pennies they cost. i have hda them about three months. they are fully broken in. I have not found a real weakness. you still need a sub. the center is a great. nice and crisp. i think you would be happy with your purchase. [​IMG]

3. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

cabreau, your friend sounds like a really nice guy who knows his stuff. [​IMG] . The Onkyo is a nice receiver from what I have heard. I would avoid the 500 and 600 series (last years model) as they had a lot of issues quality wise. The new ones seem to be really good. If you are looking into refurbs then the denon 1804 would be great as would a H/K 225. There is a thread that was started a week ago where a person found a review of that exact Fluance set up and actually took the speakers apart to look at the "guts". From the review and the pictures you will not beat them for that price.
    Sony has a decent subwoofer for pretty cheap that has gotten good reviews around here sw40 or something like that. Dayton also has a 10" sub that has been getting good reviews. Good luck

4. Mike Littrell

Go here, (sorry, haven't had 15 posts yet, just copy/paste

wwwpartsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=16292708&St=1647&St2=-49757353&St3=64965732&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=122583&DID=7

This 10" Dayton sub seems like a good deal
    Remember to put the . after www

Mike

5. Anthony*B

Anthony*B Stunt Coordinator

i have Fluance SX-HTB's & the PE sub + a Pioneer receiver (got the receiver at Ult. Electronics for 169$, one of those "last year's model" deals...)...great setup for the $ invested I think

6. George Caronan

George Caronan Stunt Coordinator

Cabreau,

I have a Fluance suite of speakers in a 7.1 alignment as well. I have the SV-10s for mains [both bi-amped], 2 AV-SC for centers, 4 AV-BPs for side and rear surrounds. My subs are two 150 watt Cambridge Soundworks. Not upper-echelon range but I am very happy with how they sound altogether. For the overall price I paid for the whole set-up, I can say that they were more than worth it. Overall, they sound smooth yet detailed. I've never heard the HTB set so I can't comment on them. If you do decide on the same separate models that they offer you will probably be happy with them. Mine are driven by Parasound amps via an AVM-20 SSP. Best of luck.

7. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

George - isn't that a huge mismatch of product? You have an Anthem processor and Parasound amps but Fluance speakers?

8. George Caronan

Hi Ernest. Yes, on paper it does. It is OK but it is temporary. Believe me, I am aware of what's out there and know I can do MUCH better. I will probably up the ante later this year and get some B&Ws, Paradigms or Polks. Trying to decide what would be good. Right now, I am doing some research. Know what? Maybe I should start a thread and ask around as what the knowledgeable folks around here would recommend. Take care.

9. Sheldon-m

Sheldon-m Stunt Coordinator

Greorge why would you up-grade? Just cause on paper it looks like they are better than the fluance. I have friends that have b&w and polk and i can proudly say they can hang with them. I have had friends over new years and had them cranked up and people can't believe that they are fluance. they though i went out and bought some high end speakers. It's not what they cost it is how they sound. if i wanted i would of bought some other speaker. but i took a chance on Fluance and it paid off. just remember all speaker companies started off small. I have AV-F5 and they are smooth. people still can't beleive that they cost only 300$

10. George Caronan

Sheldon M.,

You do have valid points and I agree with them since I do own a set. We all get caught with "upgrade-itis" from time to time. It would be fun to change them but money is money and it would probably be awhile or maybe I may not even do it. [​IMG] I do like the Fluance line a lot. They are smooth I agree. Take care and I appreciate your thoughts.

11. Alex_P

Alex_P Stunt Coordinator

Love the Fluance speakers especially for the price. The center speaker on their 5 speakers is lacking a bit. But after stuff some polyfil and crank up the level to about 2 db...it seems to do fine...