Fluance Speakers? Some Answers!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter_James, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Peter_James

Peter_James Stunt Coordinator

As another HTF member stated last week about this issue, Fluance (www.fluance.com) is made by a company in N.Y. called Gold Sky. (www.goldsky.com). Many people on HTF have been wondering about Fluance and how you can get so much for so little money? I unfortunately don’t have an answer for that, but – I can tell you that I own a home theater setup from Gold Sky.
    Where I live (Israel) there are MANY companies that sell Gold Sky speakers. I have been able to demo many of these models in a showroom. Some of the companies that buy from Gold Sky are: ADC (Audio Design Concepts), Storm, Alpha Technology, Magnum and Dome. I’m sure there are more, but those are the ones that I have actually seen and listened to.
    Most of the vendors here are tight lipped about this, but after a little investigating I was able to find out that these were all Gold Sky speakers. Like any other speaker line, there are entry level and higher level. Gold Sky makes everything from cheapo satellites to some pretty darn good floor standing speakers and home theater setups. For those of you who are looking at the Fluance speakers, I can tell you that they are really quite a good deal. The company Storm sells the same models as featured on the Fluance web site where I live and I have auditioned them in showrooms as well as one set in my house. I personally decided on a different model sold by ADC, but of course, Gold Sky is the manufacturer. I have in the past had Energy speakers and most recently a set of B&W 602’s with matching center and rears. Are these speakers that I bought (much like the ones you see on the Fluance web site) better than the B&W’s I had? No. Are they good? Yes, very. Are they a deal? The best I have seen in HT speakers! The enclosures are well done, and the matching is near to perfect for the set. I added a sub that Gold Sky makes, because I got a great deal on it. In fact, I got a great deal on the whole system. This is notable considering that if I bought B&W’s or Monitor Audio’s where I live, I would have to pay twice as much as you HTF members from USA or Canada. So, for me, this was an especially good deal! I ended up with one model up from Fluance top of the line 5 speaker system, and cost me only $400 total. I would love to have some B&W’s or another top end brand, but for me and some other HTF members, these are a real solid alternative.
    P.J.

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Thanks for the info. People who have the Fluance speakers tend to love them, and I'd recommend them to anyone shopping at that budget level. I wonder if Gold Sky manufactures Wharfedale speakers?

3. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

I seriously want to upgrade my speakers. I now use NHT Super Ones that are great, very accurate and detailed, just put an SVS 2039 on them, I cant complain about the sound but I would like to fatten up the sound around 80-125hz, call it old age or HT as I listen to little music, however I cannot live with a speaker that is muddy on the bottom.
    I keep looking at the Fluance line of speakers, read good reveiws from noted reviewers, I am anxious to hear more about this speaker, I am leaning towards the JBL Studio line in particular the S38II at all 5 positions, but I am open to other ideas. I thought about buying the Fluance center but I dont know if that will tell me much, low investment, I am a little gun shy. . .

4. Peter_James

Peter_James Stunt Coordinator

I listened to the Northridge N38II speakers. They were more money than the Flunace line and I didn't think they were better at all. The Flunace offers very long throw woofers and you get alot of low freq. for the $$. THe mids and hi's are good too. If you go with the JBL, they may be a bit more precise, but you lose alot of range in my opinion.

Also, if your just going to get the fluance center channel...I'm not sure that is the best way to test them.
    1. That center wont match your other speakers, so you wont get a true sense of the sound.

2. I think that my biggest complaint about Gold Sky's HT setups is the center channel. It is a non-ported enclosure and I don't think that is does justice to the very powerful and full ranging fronts.

P.J.

5. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Most Center channels (most all) cut off above 60Hz anyway.
    You set the Center to "Small" in the speaker management of
    any receiver and it sends anything below 80Hz (if it's the
    THX standard Crossover) to the Subwoofer.

6. Guy Usher

It is hard to get past the looks too good to be true thing here.But their floorstanding models do look good, even though you cannot hear what they look like, looks are an important part of speaker buying, if you have a speaker you cant stand to look at no matter how good it sounds you will not be satisfied.My NHTs sound great but they are small black boxes, it was what I wanted when I bought them, the JBLs (S38II) are almost gaudy in appearance, at least the silver colored drivers look better than the bronze colored ones. . . . And they do have the improvement in sound that I am looking for. . .I think the NHT is probaly a better speaker for music but as I said I dont listen to music near as much as I once did, almost never criticaly. . .

7. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Some people probably hear about the Nuance scam and forget that it's NUance, not FLUance that makes the poor speakers as a scam. Then people get scared away from Fluance speakers because Fluance sounds like Nuance.

8. Mark R O

Mark R O Stunt Coordinator

Guy- The NHT SuperTwo's may be the perfect step for you. If you want all the charms and capabilities of your SuperOnes but with more reach, authority and dynamics, it's a must hear. IMHO, they will jump all over the JBL's, and I've seen them below $400 on the internet.

9. Guy Usher

Mark, the Super twos would probaly work, every time I set out to upgrade I try to get updated on everything, half the fun is looking. I wish I could get the old JBL sound (early 80s) was hopine the new Studio series would do it. I actualy like the forward sound of the old JBLs midrange, they are very effecient, power requirements much less than the Super Ones. I always end up back with what I have as when it gets down to making a decision I have to listen carefully and guess what. . . It is hard to beat (for the money) the Supoer Ones sound. . .

10. Alan M

Alan M Second Unit

just thought id add my 2 cents worth.after reading many reviews i decided to buy the more expenive(not even close) htb system from fluance($269).Ive been living w/the sx-htb system for about 2 month now,and wow,I'm impressed.
    my buddy just got the boston htb system(costs him $1000),and even he agrees.these sound clearer and more precise.
    fluance is located in canada so shipping time was about 5 working days.Im in cal.fluance seems to b a good company providing quality speakers at an extremely reasonable price.
    I do have a 15" sub that gives the bottom end some umph,and ya,Id recommend the sx-htb system to anyone looking for a good htb system.

11. jeff_str

jeff_str Auditioning

Any thoughts on either Fluance system compared to the JBL NSP1? I had it all planned out to go with a Denon 1803 + DLS sub for the el cheapo setup, but these may also fit the bill. Anyone try the Fluances with music?

--jeff_str

12. Alan M

Alan M Second Unit

ya jeff,spent the 1st 2 days listening to classical and rock and roll on my fluance system to break them in.these do sound thin for the 1st 10 hours or so,but after that ,they open up and even the wife was impressed(she listens to jazz).had a hard time explaining to her y my last system costs so much compared to the fluance.

13. jeff_str

jeff_str Auditioning

sounds cool. if only i could demo these somewhere! needless to say, it looks like there's officially a new budget contender on the block...

--jeff_str