Fluance speakers:dirt cheap, but are they any good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kelly Scott Rickards, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Kelly Scott Rickards

Kelly Scott Rickards Stunt Coordinator

These speakers seems like they could offer amazing bang for the buck:http://www.fluance.com/index.html
    I mean the prices are just[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I mean only 79 bucks for the dipolars, 269 clams for the flagship floorstanders (both these prices are for a pair of speakers,btw) and a measly $269 for a 5 speaker set!!![​IMG]
    Unless they sound like absolute doo-doo (i.e. BOSE) they are the steal of the century!!
    What I want to know is what is the sound quality of the fluances?
    Which, better known speaker brand would you say they are comparable to?
    There is a catch, right?

2. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

If you bought the parts needed and built these yourself it would cost at least as much or more than what Fluance charges. However, this assumes you are buying good quality drivers. That's where this equation doesn't add up for Fluance. They probably use cheap drivers so the end result is rather poor. Dipoles for 79 bucks? Riiiiight.

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Do some searching here, these have been discussed often, there are a couple oif good reviews. They are very well regarded for the price.

4. FrankieG

FrankieG Auditioning

Hi Kelly,I just got mine last week,the AV-HTB 5 speaker home theater set.....I am no snob on speakers,could care less about the paradigerams or swans,or whatever they are called,looks like pretty packages to me,but these sound good to my big ears. $348 shipped to my house in Md. in less than 1 week. Regards,FG.